OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Multiple (2) Network Cards both used for VE's + Public IP issues
Multiple (2) Network Cards both used for VE's + Public IP issues [message #24172] Sun, 02 December 2007 10:51 Go to next message
stuartornum is currently offline  stuartornum
Hi,

I haven't yet implemented this yet, but just wanted to know if there is any issues and setup difference I would need to know.

I have only used OpenVZ in a local network environment, so local IP's only. But when I put the server into my local DC im a bit confused about the public IP's of VE's.

So lets say I have IP range 80.1.1.10 -> 80.1.1.20

Hardware Node assigned 80.1.1.10 for eth0 and 80.1.1.11 for eth1.

Do I need to create eth0:0, eth0:1, eth0:2 for 80.1.1.12, 80.1.1.13 and 80.1.1.14 respectively on the HN? As im not quite sure how the VE's use the public IP's.

Also, as you can see from above I have two network cards.

Ideally I would like to have some on eth0 and others on eth1..

Would this be hard to achieve?

Thank you in advance
Re: Multiple (2) Network Cards both used for VE's + Public IP issues [message #24205 is a reply to message #24172] Mon, 03 December 2007 08:45 Go to previous message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Hello stuartornum,

i think the major thing at the moment is to clarify (to us and to yourself) the configuration you need.

0) Do you want completely discard the private IPs (on the HNs and VEs) and use only public ones?

1) You've said you have 2 network card on the HN. How are you going to use them? Why do you need 2 cards, not 1?
a) If you want to use only public IPs, the only reason for 2 network cards i can see is the reliability (i mean to configure 2 cards somehow that if one link is dead the node will use another link). If this is the case, then, from my POV, it makes sense to configure a bonding device with those 2 NICs and use it (this will require only 1 IP for HN). http://wiki.openvz.org/Bonding
b) If you still want to use both public and private IPs on HN/VEs then again - do you bother to separate local traffic (say via eth0) and global/public traffic (say via eth1)?
i) If NO - then again - i think 2 separate NICs are redundant - i suggest to 'bond' them.
ii) If YES - well, this is the most difficult configuration, you can read about how to do this here http://wiki.openvz.org/Using_private_IPs_for_Hardware_Nodes# An_OpenVZ_Hardware_Node_has_two_Ethernet_interfaces.

2) Do you use at the moment veth or venet? It seems to me that above configurations (except for 1.b.ii) can be done using just venet devices - simpler from my POV. (http://wiki.openvz.org/Differences_between_venet_and_veth)

Hope this helps.

Regards,
--
Konstantin.

If your problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Previous Topic: How to run OSPF inside VE? (or: multicast support in VE in general)
Next Topic: NFS - Connection Refused.. (Common-Error in Uncommon Form)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 00:23:07 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02872 seconds