OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Kernel compilation from source - yum ovzkernel dependency
Kernel compilation from source - yum ovzkernel dependency [message #23030] Sat, 10 November 2007 09:50 Go to next message
blunt is currently offline  blunt
I have compiled my kernel from source, and patched it with Openvz.

I then try to install vzctl and vzquota, and yum complains saying it needs to install ovzkernel, which I installed from source...Is there a way of telling yum that my kernel is a 'ovzkernel' or getting the apps installed without complaining about dependencies?

thank you
Re: Kernel compilation from source - yum ovzkernel dependency [message #23031 is a reply to message #23030] Sat, 10 November 2007 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

Generally, you either go yum way or manual way -- can not mix both together as rpm/yum doesn't know about the software which you installed without rpm/yum.

Still, there are two options in your particular case:

1. Create and install some stub package which "Provides: ovzkernel". If you have some rpm experience this is pretty trivial.

2. Download vzctl/vzquota rpms manually and install with
rpm -ihv --nodeps
command.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Kernel compilation from source - yum ovzkernel dependency [message #23035 is a reply to message #23031] Sat, 10 November 2007 14:54 Go to previous message
blunt is currently offline  blunt
my mistake...

I had been trying to use yum, and could not understand why it wouldn't work with -nodeps and that help for yum never mentioned any --nodeps option...

now I understand, -nodeps is for rpm...

It all works now.

thanks kir
Previous Topic: config-files (ip address) in ostemplate
Next Topic: Fedora 64 bit templates
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 23:39:47 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02877 seconds