OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » NFS warning
NFS warning [message #22337] Thu, 25 October 2007 19:03 Go to next message
whately is currently offline  whately
Hello All,

I want to use a NFS server for the /vz partition.
I mounted it on the VE0 of each HN. The server is running CentOS 5, without openvz. The HNs have openVZ RHEL 5 based, release 2.6.18-8.1.8.el5.028stab039.1
Everything is working ok, except that for every VE start and stop, the following messages are issued:
lockd: cannot monitor <nfs_server address>

I disabled the DISK_QUOTA.

I search this forum and the list, but I couldn't find any explanation for this kind of problem.

Should I give any other information ?
I don't have any other idea to fix it. I accept any suggestion.
Thanks in advance,
Lauro.
Re: NFS warning [message #22372 is a reply to message #22337] Fri, 26 October 2007 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saimon is currently offline  saimon
Hi, whately!

Try mount only /vz/private, /vz/template with nfs options: hard,intr,nolock,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,nfsvers=3,tcp

==
Best regards

Re: NFS warning [message #22381 is a reply to message #22372] Fri, 26 October 2007 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dear Saimon,

it is working. Thanks very much for your help.
There's only thing more... I think you meant /vz/root instead /vz/templates, didn't you ?

thanks again,
Lauro.
Re: NFS warning [message #22417 is a reply to message #22381] Sat, 27 October 2007 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saimon is currently offline  saimon

No, /vz/root, as i know, personal per HN mount point for local VE's. It can't be shared.

sorry for my english =).

Re: NFS warning [message #22746 is a reply to message #22417] Fri, 02 November 2007 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seanfulton is currently offline  seanfulton
I tried to use NFS to share space between two servers with OpenVZ and was recommended against it by the OpenVZ developers. This was several kernel releases ago. Anyone successfully using NFS to share a drive between multiple servers? If so, any problems?

I have been struggling for a couple of months now with using GFS instead, but still feel more comfortable with NFS if we can get it to work reliably.

Any advice would be appreciated.

sean
Re: NFS warning [message #22756 is a reply to message #22746] Fri, 02 November 2007 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sean,

I've been using a NFS drive shared between two servers.
I haven't tried anything more complex than migrate a VE between the servers. It's worked until now.
The servers are sharing /vz/root, /vz/private and /vz/dump.
I want to improve the migration time, removing the extra copy of files between the servers.

Lauro.
Re: NFS warning [message #22757 is a reply to message #22756] Fri, 02 November 2007 19:46 Go to previous message
seanfulton is currently offline  seanfulton
Do you use any sort of HA-failover mechanism?

What I was trying to do was set up DRBD between two machines (works fine), set up HA-NFS (works fine), then put my VEs on the NFS drive. In this way, if NFS server A fails, HA will switch to NFS Server B which has identical data through DRBD and all will be well.

Everything worked extremely well until I started noticing data corruption issues in the VEs. I was told at the that there was a kernel issue (I think it was the 29 kernel). The 31 kernel supposedly fixed this, but at the time one of the OpenVZ guys suggesting not using NFS because there were other problems with it, to use GFS or something else.

Looking for first-hand stories or experience.

sean
Previous Topic: Fedora Core 2 Template?
Next Topic: [solved] Allocate Ram
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 16 05:34:55 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04084 seconds