OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » How to create a full template for centos
Re: How to create a full template for centos [message #22561 is a reply to message #22554] Tue, 30 October 2007 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
I have no idea what you need to install to have a working asterisk system because I've not installed that.

In this case, I don't think you need to edit the default.list because there may be so much work you have to do after that (any third-party packages or configs?) that you don't want to have to go through that each and every time you create a new VPS of the same type.

I'd recommend you start with a basic VPS OS Template, get a running VPS, add everything you need to the running VPS. Install any third-party stuff and configure as desired.

After you have gotten asterisk setup how you want it on the running VPS, if desired, remove any of the packages you don't need/want. Do you still need the compiler and all of the devel packages after you have your application going? Anyway, getting rid of the build stuff if you don't need it anymore will make your final OS Template smaller.

Then just shut down your VPS and pack it up like so:

vzctl stop {VEID}
cd /vz/private/{VEID}
tar -cvzf /vz/template/cache/{mynewtemplate}-i386.tar.gz

Now you can use your new OS Template to create new VPSes with all of that work intact but your hostname, ip address, nameserver stuff is stored in the {VEID}.conf so your OS Template created from the shutdown VPS is fairly independent. Just make sure to change or remove any passwords you don't want shared.

Does that sound like a plan?

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message