OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Cannot allocate memory BUT failcnt is 0 for all resources
icon4.gif  Cannot allocate memory BUT failcnt is 0 for all resources [message #22211] Tue, 23 October 2007 14:41 Go to next message
benlm is currently offline  benlm
One of my MySQL VPS's just went nuts, and started spewing 'Cannot allocate memory' errors. Checking /proc/user_beancounters show that there are no limits being reached.

After playing around with resource limits regardless, I still couldn't get it to work. I tried creating a new VPS and just copying over the old filesystem, but I got the same memory errors. Then, I created a new VPS, installed MySQL and copied only the MySQL data dirs. This worked fine, and it's now up and running (with the same resources as the VPS that had all the memory errors).

I've attached some output. Any help would be greatly appreciated - I really need to find out what caused this.

Thanks!
Re: Cannot allocate memory BUT failcnt is 0 for all resources [message #22213 is a reply to message #22211] Tue, 23 October 2007 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Well, really a strange situation. Did you check the ulimits inside a problem VE?
Do you still have that VE? Can we somehow get a copy of it to dig the problem?

Thank you,
Konstantin.

If your problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Re: Cannot allocate memory BUT failcnt is 0 for all resources [message #22216 is a reply to message #22213] Tue, 23 October 2007 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benlm is currently offline  benlm
I've still got it around, and it's still showing symptoms.

[root@mysql4 /]# ulimit
unlimited
[root@mysql4 /]# ulimit -a
core file size (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size (blocks, -f) unlimited
pending signals (-i) 1024
max locked memory (kbytes, -l) unlimited
max memory size (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files (-n) 1024
pipe size (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues (bytes, -q) 819200
stack size (kbytes, -s) 10240
cpu time (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes (-u) 71680
virtual memory (kbytes, -v) unlimited
file locks (-x) unlimited
[root@mysql4 /]#

Being the root user, any arbitrary limits set inside the VPS shouldn't affect me anyway right?

I've attached the relevant part of the config, as well as an updated beancounters paste (I've changed the config a bit since my first post).

If you can't think of anything else for me to check I'll remove any sensitive data from it and package it up for you to have a look at. I'd give you SSH access, but I can't get it on the network due to the memory issues.

Thanks.

Re: Cannot allocate memory BUT failcnt is 0 for all resources [message #22261 is a reply to message #22216] Wed, 24 October 2007 08:59 Go to previous message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Well, looks like i've no more ideas what to check...
* might be the content of the /proc/meminfo. Does it differ from the meminfo in working VE?
* might be strace of the small program which simply does alloc().

But i suppose the copy of the VE will be the simplest way.
BTW, please, tell me which kernel do you use and the host OS. (i think the latter doesn't matter but anyway).

If your problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Previous Topic: *SOLVED* unable to install adventnet service desk on vs-101
Next Topic: SoftLayer VPS Issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 16 03:28:45 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04078 seconds