OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Split a server into security units - what is the best way?
Split a server into security units - what is the best way? [message #2142] Wed, 22 March 2006 08:30 Go to previous message
bjmg is currently offline  bjmg

Hello again,

This time I have a question about the performance of openvz. We want to use openvz to split a quite large server into several "security units".
This is the configuration of that server:
Dual Intel Pentium 4 Xeon HT EM64T with 3.2GHz (2 physical CPUs + 2 virtual CPUs)
4 GB of RAM
SATA-Raid in Mirroring Mode
Centos 4.3 x86_64 (Host System)
Debian Sarge AMD64 (inside VPSs)

Now we want to run a quite large database server (MySQL) on it. The databases have a file size of about 20 GB (growing rate: 1.2GB/month). So MySQL needs a lot of RAM to be fast enough to handle that. I would say: MySQL should get about 3072 MB of RAM and "most" of the CPU power. That MySQL server should run on its own VPS (using Debian Sarge AMD64 as VPS-OS).
In addition to that MySQL-VPS we need a development system, a testing system and a system that runs some network/traffic accounting tools. These servers are low priority servers and we think that they don't need much CPU power and also not that much RAM.

Here is a small table that shows the "promised" CPU power for the VPSs from above:
80% MySQL-System
10% Development-System
10% Network-Accounting-System
00% Testing-System (not needed every day)

If this is not optimal, please give us other values.

Now what is the best way to create a config like that?
I thought vzsplit should do the job. I thought splitting the server into 10 parts ((80+10+10)/10) and then multiplying the values for the MySQL-System with 8 would be perfect. What do you think about that? Is that the right way?

Thank you!

Bernhard

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Red Hat Linux 8 Template or Metadata?
Next Topic: Kernel panic on x86_64 with CentOS 4.3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 05 21:24:27 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03121 seconds