OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » veth: No Connection between host and guest
veth: No Connection between host and guest [message #16289] Thu, 30 August 2007 13:21 Go to next message
Barzille is currently offline  Barzille
Hello there,
I am comparing different vm solutions for performance and security aspects and now I want to try out openVZ.

My system is the following:

Ubuntu 7.04 as Host with 2.6.18-028stab035.1-ovz-smp kernel. I installed ubuntu-6.06-i386-minimal template as guest.

Because I want to have an IP Adress for each VE in my LAN and internet access I decided to use veth devices. I performed the following steps mentioned in the wiki:
1. vzctl create 101 --ostemplate ubuntu....
2. vzctl set 101 --hostname guest1 --save
3. vzctl set 101 --netif_add eth0,onerandommacaddress,veth101.0,anotherrandommacaddress --save
4. After that I used the script for persistent veth connection and added those two lines in my config file. VETH_IP_ADDRESS = 192.168.160.94 and CONFIG_CUSTOMIZED="yes"
5. In my host system and in the guest are forwarding, proxy_arp and ip_forward enabled for veth101.0 (host) and eth0 (guest)
6. (guest) /etc/resolve.conf has the same entries as in the file at host
7. I added a default route in guestsystem: /sbin/ip route add default dev eth0
8. and now, there's no connection via ping neither to the host, nor to the internet and vice versa

Any hints?

Thank you

[Updated on: Thu, 30 August 2007 14:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: veth: No Connection between host and guest [message #16294 is a reply to message #16289] Thu, 30 August 2007 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Hello,

1) venet is quite suitable to the configuration you described: an IP Adress for each VE in my LAN and internet access, and in this case you don't have to write additional scripts/customize configs.
So venet configuration is much less error prone.
Might be it makes sense to try venet approach?

2) if you still want to use veth, could you please first try to do all the staff manually without making the configuration persistent. In this case you can post the exact commands you typed and we might see something wrong. Please, post here exact commands you do and their outputs.
Thank you.

P.S. also `ip a l` and `ip r l` outputs both in the HN and the VE are appreciated (after the configuration completed).

If your problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Re: veth: No Connection between host and guest [message #16296 is a reply to message #16294] Thu, 30 August 2007 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
is it possible to give my ve's ipaddresses with venet, so that they can be used as static machines? For example as Webserver, as Mailserver, as ...? If the answer is yes, then it will do it for my purpose.

I also tried it with venet. I achieved connections between host and guest, but no connection between guest and other clients in my lan and none to internet. Because of this, I tried veth...

If venet is enough, I will give it a try tomorrow at work!

Maik
Re: veth: No Connection between host and guest [message #16302 is a reply to message #16296] Fri, 31 August 2007 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barzille wrote on Thu, 30 August 2007 19:10

Hi,
is it possible to give my ve's ipaddresses with venet, so that they can be used as static machines? For example as Webserver, as Mailserver, as ...? If the answer is yes, then it will do it for my purpose.

Yes, using venet you can assign IPs to VEs and use them as you asked.
(just for clarification - if you are going to make VEs accessible from the internet you have to assign them public IPs like to any standalone node or have the deal with source based routing/NAT/etc.)
How to add an IP to venet device: http://wiki.openvz.org/Venet
Differences between veth and venet: http://wiki.openvz.org/Differences_between_venet_and_veth

Also please check your sysctl configuration, this might be the reason of your network failures (especially 'ip_forward' sysctl): http://wiki.openvz.org/Quick_installation#sysctl

Hope this helps.

--
Konstantin.

Re: veth: No Connection between host and guest [message #16305 is a reply to message #16302] Fri, 31 August 2007 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok,
I got it working. One of the problems was /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/venet0/proxy_arp because it is set to 0 (in ve) after each restart of the ve... Is there a possibility to make it default to 1?
Re: veth: No Connection between host and guest [message #16307 is a reply to message #16305] Fri, 31 August 2007 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[HN]# ip a l
1: venet0: <BROADCAST,POINTOPOINT,NOARP,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue
link/void

Well, you see venet is not an ethernet device, and in particular it doesn't allow arp packets to go through it (NOARP flag), so it's ok to stay venet0.proxy_arp 0, this shouldn't influence on the system in any case.

Re: veth: No Connection between host and guest [message #16313 is a reply to message #16307] Fri, 31 August 2007 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
finist wrote on Fri, 31 August 2007 05:36

[HN]# ip a l
, so it's ok to stay venet0.proxy_arp 0, this shouldn't influence on the system in any case.

But with 0 it's not working, it has to be 1 in order to have network access. But my question is how to make it 1 by default at every start up of the virtual machine?
Re: veth: No Connection between host and guest [message #16315 is a reply to message #16313] Fri, 31 August 2007 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barzille wrote on Fri, 31 August 2007 16:34

But with 0 it's not working, it has to be 1 in order to have network access.

It's very strange and i'd be appreciated if you post here the command (with the output) which doesn't work with proxy_arp on venet0 disabled and works if proxy_arp is "enabled".

Quote:

But my question is how to make it 1 by default at every start up of the virtual machine?

For example you can put
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/venet0/proxy_arp

to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local script inside a VE.

Re: veth: No Connection between host and guest [message #16316 is a reply to message #16315] Fri, 31 August 2007 13:44 Go to previous message
Ok, I will do so on monday when I am back at work, so long, thank you
Previous Topic: vzcpucheck & sparc problem
Next Topic: Find out how many VE per server - while in VE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Oct 12 21:18:23 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06641 seconds