OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » IRC
IRC [message #15994] Fri, 17 August 2007 21:13 Go to next message
zwtint is currently offline  zwtint

Hello,

How can I disable IRC access for VPSes globally?
(or for ips)

openvz based on centos 5

Regards,

A.
Re: IRC [message #15995 is a reply to message #15994] Fri, 17 August 2007 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alticon-brian is currently offline  alticon-brian
You can always set up an iptables rule on the HN blocking 6660-6669. Unfortunately, this is only going to block a few ports and anyone with a bit of knowledge can easily re-configure their server software to use non-standard ports.

That being said, you can always drop the iptables rule in place and then run nmap periodically to see whats running on non-standard ports and give it a look-see.
Re: IRC [message #16002 is a reply to message #15994] Sat, 18 August 2007 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hey,

Can you please let me know that ipables rules?

My provider also did something on the main IP of the node:

root@atdn:~#nmap 66.246.220.34

Starting Nmap 4.11 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2007-08-18 08:30 CEST
Interesting ports on 66.246.220.34:
Not shown: 1672 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
22/tcp open ssh
6666/tcp filtered irc-serv
6667/tcp filtered irc
6668/tcp filtered irc
6699/tcp filtered napster
6881/tcp filtered bittorent-tracker
6969/tcp filtered acmsoda
7000/tcp filtered afs3-fileserver

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 17.485 seconds
root@atdn:~#

Can I do also something like that?

Regards,
Re: IRC [message #16006 is a reply to message #16002] Sat, 18 August 2007 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
I'd recommend the solution recommended in the OpenVZ Wiki:

Setting up an iptables firewall
http://wiki.openvz.org/Setting_up_an_iptables_firewall

Just edit the script to add the ports you want on your host node. For VPSes, just create a file for each VPS that specifies just what ports you want open and plop that into the /etc/firewall.d directory. Works rather well in my somewhat limited experience.

The only problem with this solution is that the firewall rules do not follow the VPS when it is migrated from one physical host to another... although I imagine anyone who wanted to could add that functionality to the vzmigrate script and check to see if a firewall file for the VPS exists (after coming up with a standard name for the VPS files... like VEID for example) and to migrate that as well... and then restart the firewall service on the destination machine after the migration is complete.

I doubt this functionality will ever become a stock part of vzmigrate or vzctl... because so many people have their own, usually custom, firewall setups.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: IRC [message #16008 is a reply to message #15994] Sat, 18 August 2007 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hey,

Thanks for your post.

The only problem if I create a custom firewall rule on the VPS, the root (costumer) can easily modify it so he earn access to IRC.

I would need a very strict rules about IRC cos my server provider do an instant termination of server if they found any IRC activities!

Any other idea?
Re: IRC [message #16010 is a reply to message #16008] Sat, 18 August 2007 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, the firewall script in the wiki was designed to be used from the host node. All firewall rules for the host node and all of the VPSes are controlled from the host node... and they can not (as I understand it) be modified from within the VPS.

The VPS root user might try and create firewall rules from within the VPS but it will not affect the rules set on the host node... so even if within the VPS it is setup to accept IRC traffic... if the host node created VPS firewall doesn't allow it, it isn't going to get in.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: IRC [message #16013 is a reply to message #15994] Sat, 18 August 2007 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Okey, I try it.

I already made a rule to block 6667 port out and incoming but its not works.

Other, Can I limit the bandwidth of VPS per gigabyte?

Not by speed!

Regards,

[Updated on: Sat, 18 August 2007 19:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: IRC [message #16019 is a reply to message #16013] Sat, 18 August 2007 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you have a monthly bwlimit of a VPS? I believe so. In the OpenVZ wiki there is an article on such... and I believe it uses iptables. Now I don't know if you can easily integrate both the hn based firewall and the bwlimit functions into a single iptables script or not... so that might be a challenge. Also, I can't really say how well the bwlimit article works because I haven't read it or used it myself.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: IRC [message #16026 is a reply to message #16019] Sat, 18 August 2007 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
locutius is currently offline  locutius
iptables is a bitch because all the time you must keep a clear record of your rulez and for any configuration worthy of a modern webserver the rulez get long and complex to read

as a basic requirement for any server facing the cloud i recommend advanced policy firewall http://rfxnetworks.com/apf.php it is a simple to use intuitive script for loading rules into iptables

in addition to dynamic rules there are static global rules which can be used to loaded blocklists into iptables. i have servers blocking 2.6 million IPs or 64% of the net in the kernel at very very very small cost (5% cpu)

you can easily obtain lists of IRC networks and other nasty stuff. ipfiltering those bad guys will make your server most unattractive to anyone who needs a server to run evil IRC

btw your hosts attempts are ridiculous, slap him

EDIT:

to be clear, there is nothing wrong with local irc as a service. it is everything and the evil that comes with irc you dont want. my best guess is what you want is to remove the possibility the VPS are used to join evil undernet etc and if eggdrops are installed then they are limited. the above iptables solution will do that for you and more. NOTE: enable egress filtering

[Updated on: Sat, 18 August 2007 21:57]

Re: IRC [message #16031 is a reply to message #15994] Sun, 19 August 2007 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

hey,

Are you sure that IRC thing will work?

Because the ips added by loopbacks such as

lo:256 Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:xx.xx.xxx.xxx Mask:255.255.255.255
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

So I have to remove them before it can be useful for VPSes.

A.
Re: IRC [message #16032 is a reply to message #16031] Sun, 19 August 2007 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't understand what you were talking about.

If you look at the design as stated in the firewall script it says:

Quote:

This setup emulates (to the VEs anyway) an external hardware firewall. It protects the HN from any access and then defines what services and ports are allowed/banned for individual VEs. This leaves the firewall controlled by the site administrator, not be individual VEs and the hackers who've gotten into them. Wink

So, it sounds to me that they have a design philosophy that matches your goals, right?

When in doubt, give it a try it and test it out.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: IRC [message #16033 is a reply to message #15994] Sun, 19 August 2007 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Okey, then I dont understand:S

# the IP block allocated to this server
SEGMENT="192.168.0.0/24"
# the IP used by the hosting server itself
THISHOST="192.168.0.1"
# services that should be allowed to the HN; services for VEs are configured in /etc/firewall.d/*
OKPORTS="53"
# hosts allowed full access through the firewall, to all VEs and to this server
DMZS="12.34.56.78 90.123.45.67"

Its ok, what is OKPORTS? it should be allowed everything except IRC access, so what should I write there?

next:

# This file is processed by /etc/init.d/firewall
VEID="1" # the VE's ID#
VENAME="Customer1" # A human-friendly label for the VE
VEIP="192.168.1.34" # the IP address for this VE
OPENPORTS="80 443" # ports that should be universally opened to the entire Internet
DMZS="1.2.3.0/24 5.6.7.8/32" # IPs and blocks that should have full access to the VE's services
BANNED="" # IPs and blocks that should be entirely blocked from the VE's services

Okey, so what is VEID? should I add like 01,02,03 etc.. or should I create such file for every VPS? or can I do it globally?

OPENPORTS: as I said, everything is open except IRC access, what should I write there?

DMZS: I dont understand again, every ip is allowed

BANNED: what? every ip is allowed

Then I dont know where should I put IRC ports and what ports should I put there.

Sorry if Im too lame:( Smile

A.
Re: IRC [message #16034 is a reply to message #16033] Sun, 19 August 2007 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zwtint wrote on Sun, 19 August 2007 10:42

what is OKPORTS? it should be allowed everything except IRC access, so what should I write there?

No, rather than allowing everything but some ports... this firewall denies everything but the ports you specify.

Quote:

what is VEID?

A VEID is your Virtual Environment Identifier... or the number of your VPS.

Quote:

should I create such file for every VPS? or can I do it globally?

You create a separate file for each VPS... that way you can have different firewall rules (allowing the needed services) for each VPS.

Quote:

OPENPORTS: as I said, everything is open except IRC access, what should I write there?

Again, it is a deny everything except for what is allowed type of firewall.

Quote:

DMZS: I dont understand again, every ip is allowed

That is so you can specify IPs or ranges of IPs where your firewall doesn't block them.

Quote:

BANNED: what? every ip is allowed

This is if you want to ban an IP or range of IPs from all services even those you have allowed.

Quote:

Sorry if Im too lame:( Smile

Just try it... and play with it... and hopefully it'll make more sense to you. I'm not sure why I have to explain all of this to you... because I thought most of it was explained on the wiki page.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: IRC [message #16035 is a reply to message #15994] Sun, 19 August 2007 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Okey,

Finally, which I enable in OPENPORTS that will be enabled on VPS.

So if I enable port 88 and 89 there, the user can only run anything or access the vps on 88, 89 ports and he cant run any softrware on other ports.

m I right?

A.
Re: IRC [message #16036 is a reply to message #16035] Sun, 19 August 2007 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are two basic ports settings:

1) Ports you define for the host node in the firewall script
2) Ports you define for the VPSes in the /etc/firewall.d/ files you create.

So, you are creating a firewall for the host node... and it can have what ports you want it to have open... AND you are creating separate firewalls for each VPS... and they can have just the ports you want them to have open.

So, if you enable port 22 on the hn, that only affects the host node. If you enable port 80 in a VPS, it only affects that VPS.

Getting back to your question, yes... the ports you allow through are the only ones that traffic will be allowed through on... so while a VPS user might bind a program/service to a particular port, unless it is allowed in the VPS' /etc/firewall.d/ file, it'll get dropped before the VPS ever sees it.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: IRC [message #16037 is a reply to message #15994] Sun, 19 August 2007 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Then its a very bad solution cause vps means costumer has root access and can do whatever he wants.

So he must always email me or anything to open ports for him

Any other idea?

[Updated on: Sun, 19 August 2007 18:35]

Re: IRC [message #16038 is a reply to message #15994] Sun, 19 August 2007 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

This topic can be closed as solved!

The correct iptables rule:

/sbin/iptables -D FORWARD -p tcp --dport 6660:6669 -j DROP

which close the most popular ports!

A.

[Updated on: Sun, 19 August 2007 19:28]

Re: IRC [message #16039 is a reply to message #16037] Sun, 19 August 2007 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Listen, you can't have it both ways.

At the very start... the design for that firewall said... so that the admin of the host node can administer the firewall for the host node AND the VPSes.

Someone should NOT be running arbitrary services on their VPS. You should be aware of what services they are running.

I guess you could emulate the behavior you want by opening up all service ports (look at /etc/services) and leaving out only IRC related ones.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: IRC [message #16040 is a reply to message #15994] Sun, 19 August 2007 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Okey, thank you

Now, I would need a script which checks for irc processes thourhg VPSes.(and maybe kill them automatically)

Maybe is there any around?

Regards,
Re: IRC [message #16073 is a reply to message #16038] Mon, 20 August 2007 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
locutius is currently offline  locutius
zwtint wrote on Sun, 19 August 2007 15:28

This topic can be closed as solved!

The correct iptables rule:

/sbin/iptables -D FORWARD -p tcp --dport 6660:6669 -j DROP

which close the most popular ports!

you have closed 10 ports all of which can be reconfigured within an irc server and you think your irc security problem is solved?

irc services can be renamed to anything, they can mascarade as legit services

your profile of a script kiddy is woefully inadequate if you think closing 10 ports and a police script will stop him

if you want the whole hog but cant handle a properly configured firewall then install a traffic sniffer and set alarms for irc, p2p, whateva. Com**** et al use them, there are plenty about

Re: IRC [message #16096 is a reply to message #15994] Tue, 21 August 2007 06:01 Go to previous message

Hello,

You are right. Ihave just closed the main ports for irc and ircd server.

A.
Previous Topic: Strange performance issue
Next Topic: Running X server in VE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 06 07:18:45 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06310 seconds