OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *solved* OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15836 is a reply to message #15835] Tue, 14 August 2007 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
Egads... I'm going to take what you said with a sense of humor.

I didn't say the wiki was worthless. In all things, use the best tool for the job. The Users Guide is fairly complete but it is outdated on a number of topics. For example, it was written before the introduction of checkpointing and live migration features.

The commercial product upon which OpenVZ is based (SWsoft's Virtuozzo) is a bit behind in some areas compared to OpenVZ. I believe their current commercial release doesn't support RHEL5/CentOS 5 yet but I don't think that those were really the cause of your problem. As you know, whatever problem you were having should apply to both a CentOS 5 based host as well as a CentOS 4 based host so I'm not sure reinstalling the host OS was a solid plan... but who knows... doing something all over again sometimes helps avoid pitfalls.

I can give you an example with VMware. I emailed them wanting an evaluation license (for ESX server for academic purposes) and didn't hear back from them for over 2 months. I don't know if that is typical (I doubt it) but it is just another data point. You seem to have overlooked my point though... and that is email is especially unreliable these days. A significant percentage, even from the large email providers, doesn't end up where it is supposed to... and if the openvz people did get your email (and I have no idea if they did or didn't) it doesn't matter how long you wait... you are never ever going to get a reply. My point, don't rely on email as your only point of contact... especially in a situation you consider critical... and that applies to everyone... not just OpenVZ.

To clarify... read the User Guide... read the wiki... read everything you can get your hands on. I've been using OpenVZ for well over a year and I'm still learning new stuff.

I also recommend you continue to use the forums... but don't always expect an response in as timely a fashion as you seem to expect.

Other than those points, we are very happy to do our best to help you. I'm a community member... and not a developer... nor someone who is paid. This is community support. Smile

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message