OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *solved* OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues
*solved* OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15782] Sun, 12 August 2007 22:13 Go to next message
locutius is currently offline  locutius
i followed wiki.openvz.org/Quick_installation all the way to wiki.openvz.org/VE_creation with no problems, creating a VE 101 and entered and exited the VE 101 no probs

i followed the procedure and was successful creating a VE using both centos-4-i386-minimal.tar.gz and centos-5-i386-default.tar.gz

my remote server (twin dual-core 2GB RAM CentOS 5 i386) has 16 IPs assigned by my host and both times i assigned a public IP to the VE

my problem is i cannot ssh into the new VE, there appears to be no network connection in the VE (i disabled iptables incase) must i add something to the hardware node network config? or must i further configure the VE to see the hardware eth0?

plz do you have advice? i am looking to set up many VE each with a public IP. i searched the forum but didnt find anything i recognised

[Updated on: Fri, 17 August 2007 00:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15783 is a reply to message #15782] Mon, 13 August 2007 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rickb is currently offline  rickb
#cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

0 or 1?

-------------
Common Terms I post with: http://wiki.openvz.org/Category:Definitions

UBC. Learn it, love it, live it: http://wiki.openvz.org/Proc/user_beancounters
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15789 is a reply to message #15783] Mon, 13 August 2007 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

thanks for the reply, i am leading a dev group and we want multiple VE for live test environments, your help is very much appreciated

UPDATE:

i have spoken with my host's tech support and they inform me the public ip's assigned to the server were not added to the network config of the server (there is only a single ip configured on the server) and they are adding all the ip's into the server config now. i will keep you informed

UPDATE:

the host has edited /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ and all 11 ips are pointed at eth0 ... he has edited ifcfg-eth0 thru ifcfg-eth0:10

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward still gives putput = 0

i created a VE 101 using one of the ip's and then tried ssh into the VE but i landed in the hardware node. please what next? (naturally i will continue to search myself) i suspect that because the ips were added to the hardware node config after the install of OpenVZ that perhaps OpenVZ does not see them

thank you for your attention

[Updated on: Mon, 13 August 2007 15:39]

Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15791 is a reply to message #15789] Mon, 13 August 2007 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i tried ping www.google.com from VE 101 and got the response:

ping: unknown host www.google.com

... looks like still no network in the VE

UPDATE:

i have read everything now

Virtual Network Device tells me the network should be automatically configured by VZ and delivered into the VE with the command

vzctl set <VEID> --ipadd <IP1>[,<IP2>,...] [--save]

which was done and didnt work, must i use bonding to add the network config for the new ip's?

maybe i must remove OpenVZ from the system and start again and this time maybe the OpenVZ will see the 11 ip's in the HW network config. but then i would have expected to see an article on adding external ip's to a VZ config after installation

help plz. i am going nowhere until this is solved

UPDATE:

i look again at sysctl.conf and file is ok but when i reboot still i get

then i make service network restart and then

... progress?

[Updated on: Mon, 13 August 2007 17:21]

Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15798 is a reply to message #15791] Mon, 13 August 2007 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it because the HN o/s is CentOS 5 and OpenVZ does not support CentOS 5?

everything i read tells me there will be a default network connection installed with the creation of a VE. only a customised setup requires any further tinkering

frustrating Embarassed

[Updated on: Mon, 13 August 2007 21:18]

Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15800 is a reply to message #15798] Mon, 13 August 2007 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
24 hours on the OpenVZ forum ... no progress

i sent a mail to sales@openvz.org offering to buy a support package ... no reply

i will ask the host to install CentOS 4.5 and see if the same problem happens again - a default installation of OpenVZ creating a VE without network connection

i will keep you informed, and this topic at the top of the forum until a dev or mod shows up

[Updated on: Mon, 13 August 2007 22:54]

Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15805 is a reply to message #15800] Tue, 14 August 2007 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vaverin is currently offline  vaverin
Hello locutius,

I do not understand from your description where is the problem on your node and even cannot ask some reasonable question. But you can send me access permission via PM and I'll investigate the situation on your node.

thank you,
Vasily Averin
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15816 is a reply to message #15791] Tue, 14 August 2007 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
> ping: unknown host www.google.com

That does NOT necessarily mean you do not have network on your VPS. It can mean one of several things but the most likely is that your VPS is not able to resolve DNS properly. Did you set a --nameserver in your VPS?

If so, do a "service iptables stop" on hardware node and see if that makes a difference. If so, you need to resolve the software firewall issues.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that OpenVZ is not compatible with CentOS 5 or vice versa.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15820 is a reply to message #15816] Tue, 14 August 2007 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i get the idea that CentOS 5 is not compatible with OpenVZ after no replies to my post for help. i am guessing i get no help because i have made a mistake and a big insult to the forum by posting about an unsupported operating system

my server host 1 hour ago re-delivered the server with CentOS 4.5 installed. i will keep you informed of progress as i set it up, this time kernel first

yes i did kill iptables on the server to avoid the mistake of blocking my own connections

no i did not enter a nameserver as that was not in the quick install guide. i did consider entering a nameserver and i did consider all the other networking guides, but i stopped everytime before action because i came all the time back to the point the VE is created with network configured. which nameserver do i add? my host's closest and biggest? i have several more servers so there is plenty of config we can investigate

i will accept your kind offer of direct help on configuring the server with thanks. permit me first to attempt an install on CentOS 4.5 ... if i fail i will send you root access

thanks for the reply

Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15824 is a reply to message #15820] Tue, 14 August 2007 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the nameserver the hosting dns? or an address on the HW node?
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15825 is a reply to message #15824] Tue, 14 August 2007 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The "vzctl set VEID --nameserver <ipadd> --save" puts entries in the VPS /etc/resolv.conf so that it knows what DNS servers to contact to resolve names into IPs. Without doing that, the /etc/resolv.conf in your VPS is blank and the machine can't resolve hostnames.

This is exactly like a physical hosts operates and if it isn't covered in the Quick Install guide... it should be.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15826 is a reply to message #15825] Tue, 14 August 2007 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank you for the very quick reply

stupid question please forgive: how do i discover the nameserver from the HN?
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15829 is a reply to message #15826] Tue, 14 August 2007 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look at /etc/resolv.conf on the hardware node.

You should see something like:

nameserver <ipadd>

Where <ipadd> is a valid IP address of a working nameserver.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15831 is a reply to message #15829] Tue, 14 August 2007 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rickb is currently offline  rickb
centos5 and openvz works fine. If you read the documentation, you will discover you need to enable packet forwarding..

echo '1' > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Rolling Eyes

I recommend you read the entire pdf documentation as the challenges in administering a system will only become more advanced.

This forum and community is very well supported, just look at the helpful responses everyone gets. But, the poster needs to do their duty and at least understand the basics of how openvz works.

the HN acts as a router, you need packet forwarding enabled.

Rick

-------------
Common Terms I post with: http://wiki.openvz.org/Category:Definitions

UBC. Learn it, love it, live it: http://wiki.openvz.org/Proc/user_beancounters
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15832 is a reply to message #15829] Tue, 14 August 2007 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
packet forwarding was enabled and if you read the posters reply he tells you packet forwarding reset to default disabled on HN reboot

it is all ok for you to turn up 48 hours later and say OpenVZ is well supported when for 24 hours there was zero interest in the poster's topic and seeking stability he was forced to re-install an old operating system. the poster's experience is that OpenVZ is not well supported

it is all very well for you to say OpenVZ is well supported when 48 hours after sending a mail to sales@OpenVZ asking to purchase a support contract the poster has received zero reply

the poster has 5 years linux admin experience, has 3 multi-processor production machines, and knows how to read

as this topic demonstrates the poster is working hard to discover tweaks to your system that are apparently hidden and NOT in the wiki e.g. nameserver

is the problem for you that the poster is stubborn and is persisting in the attempt to configure OpenVZ? what exactly is your problem that you post a flame without reading the poster's topic? the poster's experience of the OpenVZ forum is laid out for all to see

the poster is attempting the most basic install possible. a virgin CentOS with the objective of multiple VE all with external IPs. and you turn up to patronise without a single word of assistance

finally:

this looks wrong in sysctl.conf

# Do not accept source routing
net.ipv4.conf.default.accept_source_route = 0

should it be 1?

[Updated on: Tue, 14 August 2007 22:52]

Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15834 is a reply to message #15832] Tue, 14 August 2007 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Excuse me but saying that you x years of Linux admin experience and then not knowing what the /etc/resolv.conf was on the hardware node... that is a conflict if you ask me. I mention that not to cut you down... but show the reality... and to contradict your assertion that openvz isn't well supported.

Regarding your email to sales@openvz.org... email is horribly unreliable these days. If sales didn't get your email, it may be more than 1,000 years before you get a response. Smile

You really should read the docs. Print out the user guide. It is a bit dated... but fairly complete. There isn't anything you are doing that hasn't been done tens of thousands of times before... and it should be well documented.

Regarding the quick install guide on the wiki not including the --nameserver parameter... I wish it was shown but there are a lot of parameters that aren't shown. Looking at the PDF of the Users Guide, on page 35 it is clearly stated that --nameserver should be set. Of course, just like a physical host, you can edit the /etc/resolv.conf by hand on the VPS if desired... and not use the --nameserver parameter.

You also have to realize that doing all of this stuff on a remote machine you don't physically have access to... is about the worst case scenerio. At the very least, you would like physical access to it to set it up... and once initially configured, ship it off to some colocation provider.

If you are honestly trying to say that you should be able to go from total newbie to production system in 24, or 48 or whatever... number of hours... I'm guessing there are zero products that will meet your requirements. You should spend some time testing and learning the system before imposing some arbitrary time table and then griping those trying to help you... within a day or two of your post.

The main complain someone had was they really didn't understand what you were asking... and that you didn't give enough information to describe the problem. I see you have come back over and over trying to improve the information you are providing... that is good. You have to understand that the most knowledgeable folks around are probably native Russian speakers (SWsoft's developers aka OpenVZ's developers) are all based in Russia... so sometimes their English isn't as good as a native speaker. Your English makes me wonder if it is a second language for you. Hey, I'm not complaining... because English is the ONLY language I know.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15835 is a reply to message #15834] Tue, 14 August 2007 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok so what am i guilty of? being a n00b. well consider this nOOb well roasted and smacked and everything you want to do to me. what a great experience this forum is

still i have the job to configure this server with OpenVZ

thank you very much for your advice, i will abandon the wiki and use the pdf. thanks for the help friend

EDIT: just because i never set networking on a linux box does not mean i know nothing, it means only i rent remote servers and the network config is done by the host

is going to be real fun when after i figure out how to do it alone, and i return here to deliver a critique of the poor wiki documentation that has on your own admission miserably wasted my time and money (that re-install cost me 99 euro) and let me guess that is much less than a 1 year support contract from OpenVZ if they could be bothered to check their mail

i am owner and admin on sites with 40,000+ active members on a single site, i understand forums, sry if that poster set me off but it is frustrating because the outlook is now 72 hours before a reply from any dev or staff member of the forum who can take the issue in hand. a virgin CentOS 5 server failed to work OpenVZ when precisely following the procedure in the Official Installation Guide

[Updated on: Tue, 14 August 2007 23:58]

Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15836 is a reply to message #15835] Tue, 14 August 2007 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Egads... I'm going to take what you said with a sense of humor.

I didn't say the wiki was worthless. In all things, use the best tool for the job. The Users Guide is fairly complete but it is outdated on a number of topics. For example, it was written before the introduction of checkpointing and live migration features.

The commercial product upon which OpenVZ is based (SWsoft's Virtuozzo) is a bit behind in some areas compared to OpenVZ. I believe their current commercial release doesn't support RHEL5/CentOS 5 yet but I don't think that those were really the cause of your problem. As you know, whatever problem you were having should apply to both a CentOS 5 based host as well as a CentOS 4 based host so I'm not sure reinstalling the host OS was a solid plan... but who knows... doing something all over again sometimes helps avoid pitfalls.

I can give you an example with VMware. I emailed them wanting an evaluation license (for ESX server for academic purposes) and didn't hear back from them for over 2 months. I don't know if that is typical (I doubt it) but it is just another data point. You seem to have overlooked my point though... and that is email is especially unreliable these days. A significant percentage, even from the large email providers, doesn't end up where it is supposed to... and if the openvz people did get your email (and I have no idea if they did or didn't) it doesn't matter how long you wait... you are never ever going to get a reply. My point, don't rely on email as your only point of contact... especially in a situation you consider critical... and that applies to everyone... not just OpenVZ.

To clarify... read the User Guide... read the wiki... read everything you can get your hands on. I've been using OpenVZ for well over a year and I'm still learning new stuff.

I also recommend you continue to use the forums... but don't always expect an response in as timely a fashion as you seem to expect.

Other than those points, we are very happy to do our best to help you. I'm a community member... and not a developer... nor someone who is paid. This is community support. Smile

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15837 is a reply to message #15836] Wed, 15 August 2007 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice to meet you dowdle sincerely i do believe i have made contact (of course a sense of humour implant is required, only prob is a good one is expensive)

always zero documentation is better than bad documentation, especially documentation that looks so fine in a wiki format. i was reading all the other docs and thinking all the time "if i follow a new procedure how far away is it taking me from the basic install, what problems do i make for myself?". over time you will come to know me and trust that when i say i will return and post the n00b guide i will do it
____________________________________________________________ ____

DIARY OF A N00B

problem 1 with CentOS 5:

after editing /etc/sysctl.conf and setting net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1 then reboot CentOS 5 >>>

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward = 0

when i perform service network restart >>

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward = 1

conclusion: that is as bad as it gets, something between the kernel and the config files is broken

problem 2 with CentOS 5: ... 48 hours later i am still stuck on problem 1, nobody on the OpenZV forum understands me except this real nice guy dowdle. everyone else thinks i am nutz

Problem 3: i have abandoned CentOS 5 and installed CentOS 4.5 ... and now i learn from dowdle to expect the same behaviour from CentOS 4.5

please with your assistance i hope to get there

EDIT: dowdle you are correct, the Wiki installation delivers a CentOS 4.5 n00b a VE without a functioning network connection

now abandoning the installation guides and reverting to the user guide pdf

[Updated on: Wed, 15 August 2007 01:02]

Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15838 is a reply to message #15837] Wed, 15 August 2007 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't quite understand what you are saying with problem 1.

What I do with /etc/sysctl.conf is:

mv /etc/sysctl.conf /etc/sysctl.conf.factory
nano -w /etc/sysctl.conf

Paste in the lines shown on the Quick install quide:

# On Hardware Node we generally need
# packet forwarding enabled and proxy arp disabled
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
net.ipv4.conf.default.proxy_arp = 0
# Enables source route verification
net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
# Enables the magic-sysrq key
kernel.sysrq = 1
# TCP Explict Congestion Notification
#net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 0
# we do not want all our interfaces to send redirects
net.ipv4.conf.default.send_redirects = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.send_redirects = 0

Save it out. Please copy and paste from the guide as it might wrap funny here.

Note that if that value gets set more than once, it takes whatever it was last set to. In the end, you want forwarding = 1. While it is used by OpenVZ, it really isn't an openvz specific thing. My guess is that set the value to 1 at the top of the sysctl.conf and later set it to 0... and it keeps the later value. In any event, it should be set to 1. Moving the original file and pasting in the lines shown on the quick start guide makes sure it is set correctly.

- - - -

Now I have to ask a question. You have a hosting provider that is giving you multiple IP addresses. Are you sure those addresses are being routed to your physical box? Do a traceroute for the IP address of the hardware node and the other addresses. They should all have the same last hop and if they don't it is a routing issue your hosting provider will have to fix.

- - - -

After you have your VPSes installed and running... stop iptables on the hardware node just to make sure it isn't in the way. If stopping it makes everything work, you know it is a firewall issue you need to fix.

- - - -

Other than that, we've kinda been spinning in circles going over and over the same stuff. To get past that, I'd like to have root access to the hardware node so I can poke at it.

I've setup openvz a few dozen times and never really run into a problem that wasn't resolved by the methods I mentioned above. Oh, you do have SELINUX turned off in the hardware node, right?

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
RE: vzctl set VEID --nameserver a.b.c.d --save [message #15840 is a reply to message #15837] Wed, 15 August 2007 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I edited the quick install guide and added a line for the --nameserver setup. I'm assuming that change will go through... and be visible immediately... so at least (hopefully) that little issue is taken care of.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15841 is a reply to message #15838] Wed, 15 August 2007 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my /etc/sysctl.conf ...

# Controls IP packet forwarding
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
net.ipv4.conf.default.proxy_arp = 0
# Controls source route verification
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
# Enables the magic-sysrq key
kernel.sysrq = 1
# Controls the System Request debugging functionality of the kernel
kernel.sysrq = 0
# Controls whether core dumps will append the PID to the core filename.
# Useful for debugging multi-threaded applications.
kernel.core_uses_pid = 1
# we do not want all our interfaces to send redirects
net.ipv4.conf.default.send_redirects = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.send_redirects = 0

you can see it has the lines required by OpenVZ but also the following lines which were already in situ:

# Controls source route verification

the instruction is to 'paste' which suggested to me that i replace any dupes with the OpenVZ line and keep everything else

there is one line in the PDF i find which may point to the problem:

pp29: ... or routing to the VPS has been set up via the Hardware Node

the server IPs are all set and working for the HN server. am i correct there is another layer of config as our friend suggested where the HN must be told how to route the external IPs to the VEs?

you can use the email locutius@gmail.com to contact me or send me your email i we can discuss you taking a look at the config

i really do appreciate the help

EDIT: the problem with problem 1 was after editing, saving and rebooting the HN the changes in sysctl.conf did not take effect. only when i made a service network restart did the sysctl.conf take effect .... yes very very strange, and that was what was confusing about the beginning of this thread, why would anyone expect an updated sysctl.conf not to take effect on a reboot :/

EDIT: confirmed iptables stopped in HN and VE, SELINUX off, HN IP and VE IP traceroutes are identical

[Updated on: Wed, 15 August 2007 02:50]

Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15844 is a reply to message #15841] Wed, 15 August 2007 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i enabled source based routing in sysctl.conf with:-

net.ipv4.conf.default.accept_source_route = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_source_route = 1

then restarted the network on the HN:-

[root@xxx~]# service network restart
Shutting down interface eth0: [ OK ]
Shutting down interface venet0: [ OK ]
Shutting down loopback interface: [ OK ]
Disabling IPv4 packet forwarding: [ OK ]
Setting network parameters: [ OK ]
Bringing up loopback interface: [ OK ]
Bringing up interface eth0: [ OK ]
Bringing up interface venet0: [ OK ]

everything ok, but then in the VE:-

[root@vps101 /]# service network restart
Shutting down interface venet0: [ OK ]
Shutting down loopback interface: [ OK ]
Setting network parameters: net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
error: unknown error 1 setting key 'kernel.sysrq'
error: unknown error 1 setting key 'kernel.core_uses_pid'
[FAILED]
Bringing up loopback interface: [ OK ]
Bringing up interface venet0: [ OK ]

then from HN:-

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
85.17.*the VE IP* 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 venet0
85.17.*the HN IP* 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.192 U 0 0 0 eth0
169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
0.0.0.0 85.17.182.254 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

and from ve:-

[root@vps101 /]# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.0.2.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 venet0
169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 venet0
0.0.0.0 192.0.2.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 venet0

any ideas?

[Updated on: Wed, 15 August 2007 03:31]

Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15845 is a reply to message #15844] Wed, 15 August 2007 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You really don't manage the network interface within the VPS with the standard network interface type... as all network configuration for the VPS is done from the hardware node and stored in the VPS' configuration file.

So starting, stopping and restarting the network within your VPS isn't something you really need to worry about.

Ok, so you said you got it going. Is there still a problem somewhere that needs fixing?

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15846 is a reply to message #15845] Wed, 15 August 2007 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the VE has always been working, i said that from the start of the topic

the problem is the same as at the start of the topic, the VE has no network access

from the HN i tried:-

ping openvz.org -I IP

where IP = IP of VE and it works

i cannot connect to anything from within the VE
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15847 is a reply to message #15846] Wed, 15 August 2007 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What does vzlist show?

I'm assuming that your HN and VPS are on the same network?

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15848 is a reply to message #15847] Wed, 15 August 2007 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vzlist

VEID NPROC STATUS IP_ADDR HOSTNAME
101 16 running 85.17.182.205 vps101

the HN and VE are on the same machine
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15849 is a reply to message #15848] Wed, 15 August 2007 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't ask if your hn and vps were on the same machine... I asked if they were on the same network... and when I say network... I don't mean "a bunch of computers connected together"... I mean on the same IP network where they will talk to each other.

It appears they are.

Please show the output of the following from the hardware node:

service iptables status

cat /vz/private/101/etc/resolv.conf

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15850 is a reply to message #15849] Wed, 15 August 2007 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sry. yes the HN can even ping the VE and receives a response

service iptables status
Firewall is stopped.

cat /vz/private/101/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 85.17.96.69

i am starting to think there is a firewall issue too
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15852 is a reply to message #15850] Wed, 15 August 2007 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, from what I've seen... everything looks good... but it still isn't working, eh?

So, you can ping the VPS from the HN... and it answers. Can you browse to the VPS's webserver?

I'm sure there is some minor typo somewhere that is the cause of the problem... but like you... at this point I've grown a bit weary of the back and forth of the forum... and it would be nice to just login to the hn and poke around.

Is iptables running on the VPS? If so, stop it. I don't think it is running by default... but it doesn't hurt to check.

What OS template did you install in your VPS?

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15855 is a reply to message #15852] Wed, 15 August 2007 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my email address is locutius@gmail.com if you send an email i will send you the root

i already tried to send you a mail via the forum but it obviously doesnt work
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15857 is a reply to message #15855] Wed, 15 August 2007 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if i ssh to the VPS i land in the HN

if i browse the httpd of the VPS i see the HN homepage

iptables is stopped on both the HN and the VE

but if issue the command service iptables stop on both systems this is the response:

Flushing firewall rules: [ OK ]
Setting chains to policy ACCEPT: mangle filter [ OK ]
Unloading iptables modules: [FAILED]
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15858 is a reply to message #15857] Wed, 15 August 2007 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi locutius,

I still do not understand the cause of your troubles, and I would like to look to your node. Could you please send access permission to me via PM or via email (i've sent you letter recently)

thank you,
Vasily Averin
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15859 is a reply to message #15857] Wed, 15 August 2007 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as I understand VPS101 have IP 85.17.182.205.
Could you please confirm that you have not used this IP on HW node?

locutius wrote on Wed, 15 August 2007 08:46

if i ssh to the VPS i land in the HN

if i browse the httpd of the VPS i see the HN homepage

I would like to clarify: from which node did you connect to VPS? from HW node or from some other host?

Vasily Averin
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15875 is a reply to message #15859] Wed, 15 August 2007 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily

at the moment Scott Dowdle has the root password and is investigating the system. we must wait until Scott has finished his look at the system

thank you very much for your help and i will take you up on your offer if Scott cannot find the problem

if we fix the problem then i will post here the solution. i am next on the site in 10 hours time

Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15903 is a reply to message #15857] Wed, 15 August 2007 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do me a favor and verify all of your hostnames and IP addresses. When you are trying to ssh/http to your VPS are you doing so with a hostname reference or an IP reference? If you are using the hostnames, try the IPs. This could be as simple as DNS that needs to be updated.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15904 is a reply to message #15837] Wed, 15 August 2007 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude,

Ok, after logging into the machine... I have a better idea of what the problem is.

The NIC on your hardware node has been configured to answer as multiple addresses. If you do an ifconfig on the hardware node you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. It is configured with 10 different IP addresses - eth0, eth0:0 - eth0:9. You need to totally get rid of the virtual interfaces (or whatever the proper term for them is) because OpenVZ will handle all of the interfaces of your VPSes in its own way.

So why it isn't working is because your hardware node NIC has said that it will answer those IPs. You just happen to have a VPS assigned the same IP address as one of the virtual interfaces on your hardware node NIC... and I'm guessing that the race to answer is always one by the hardware node. Smile

Get rid of those virtual interfaces and it'll have a lot better chance of working.

TYL, Scott

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15956 is a reply to message #15904] Thu, 16 August 2007 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
perfect analysis and correct, dude (seems like Scott knows me, spooky)

i removed all except one (1) IP from the server's network configuration and the VE kicked into life with a network connection

thank you for your help

conclusion:

Open VZ is very easy to install and is an intuitive system which any experienced admin will quickly understand

the Wiki was missing nameserver setup and Scott corrected this, thanks

think about it, an admin does his preparation and installs the hardware and software and provisions the IP ranges. considering OpenVZ is a tool for public IP based VPS, the Wiki is also missing a VERY basic network instruction saying something to the effect:- "using OpenVZ on a networked server with unique public IPs for each VE requires nothing more than the initial configuration of the HN's IP and the assignment (usually by your host) of a range of IPs to the physical network address of the server. OpenVZ will take care of the networking configuration for each of the VEs and you must not configure the servers NIC for the range of IPs. adding additional IPs to an OpenVZ kernel is as simple as assigning them to the physical server address (usually done by your host) and immediately without further configuration the IPs are available for use in new VEs"

90% of the game for a n00b is guessing what you dont know. you are talking to the man who introduced stanton finley's guide to the FC community forum and mailing list. if we can shut as many of those unknown open doors facing the n00b as possible then is better for the software. i read 6 months or more of forum posts in my quest for an answer, i read ALL the documentation at least 3 times, i thank the guys for their offers of help and Scott especially for the final solution
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15958 is a reply to message #15956] Fri, 17 August 2007 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm glad we got the problem figured out and that it is working now.

Regarding the potential need for language in the documentation that mentions... do not preconfigure your hardware node with all of your IPs... I'm not sure that is needed. The reason I say that, is if it was needed it should be mentioned.

I mean... it is easier to mention the things you need to do... than it is to mention all of the things you don't need to do... if you know what I mean. Smile

Please let us know if you have any more problems.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: OpenVZ on CentOS 5 network issues [message #15959 is a reply to message #15958] Fri, 17 August 2007 00:36 Go to previous message
IanMur is currently offline  IanMur
If the IP's were assigned to the real ethernet port, then I would assume that some kind of bridging was being used, but since internal routing has to be enabled (clearly stated), then that suggested to me that you shouldn't assign them to the HN. It's all a case of networking layers, etc.

Plus, as a VZ n00b, I blindly stuck to the instructions like glue! Very Happy

I did create a VE that had no VENET0-CFG (infact nothing for VENET0) script though, which I thought you might also be suffering from. Deleted the VE and created it again and all was well. Confused
Previous Topic: change inode_soft_limit
Next Topic: Problematic Hard Disk - Read Only Mode
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Oct 17 17:01:47 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05688 seconds