OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » OpenVZ strange lockups and reboots
icon9.gif  OpenVZ strange lockups and reboots [message #15756] Fri, 10 August 2007 17:52 Go to previous message
newwave is currently offline  newwave
I apologize for the long post but i am trying to include all the relevant information...

I am having stability issues with my OpenVZ server. It randomly locks up or reboots. It seems to do this more when the box is being taxed (i.e. large rsyncs or scps, or software installs, etc). The logs are clean and box generally locks up more than it reboots. When it locks up the cron log does not log any entries at all (There are several cron jobs which run every 5 mins.) the resource limits of each VE do not appear to be exceeded (user_beancouters).

I am having difficulty narrowing it down to one process, config issue, or module. I am thinking it may be a hardware problem, but I was wondering if incorrectly set resource limits for the VEs could cause the hardware node to lock up. I was under the understanding that only the VE that was overloaded would lock up. Do I have the hardware node overallocated? I followed all the equations here:
http://wiki.openvz.org/UBC_consistency_check
http://wiki.openvz.org/UBC_interdependencies_table
and vzcfgvalidate returns Validation completed: success for all the VEs.

The system is a Dual Proc Xeon with Hyperthreading (shows 4 CPUs) and has 4 GB of RAM.

[sal@buzzsaw conf]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 2
model name : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz
stepping : 5
cpu MHz : 2392.157
cache size : 512 KB

[sal@buzzsaw conf]$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 4018884 kB
MemFree: 2360636 kB
I am currently at the kernel level:
Linux buzzsaw 2.6.18-ovz028stab039.1-smp #1 SMP Tue Jul 24 12:13:58 MSD 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
I have also tried:
vmlinuz-2.6.9-023stab032.1-smp and
vmlinuz-2.6.8-022stab078.14-smp

I am only running 5 VEs at this time. I have attached all the conf files if anyone is able to help. Should i disable hyperthreading? Is my openvz config overcommitted? Should i recompile the kernel from source rather then using binary RPM? I am basically at a lost, but my system is very unstable.

Also one quick question... should my 0.conf file be set to onboot="yes"?

thanks very much,

Adam Salowitz
  • Attachment: vzconfs.txt
    (Size: 11.26KB, Downloaded 219 times)

Read Message icon9.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: ovzkernel-devel for 2.6.9
Next Topic: CentOS 5 x86_64 template metadata or precreated template?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 13:17:10 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02293 seconds