OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Network is not coming up.
Network is not coming up. [message #15647] Wed, 08 August 2007 18:25
JimL is currently offline  JimL
I'm fairly certain that this isn't an OpenVZ issue but I'm hoping someone has had the problem and knows how to fix it.

I installed a Ubuntu dapper precompiled template. It worked fine but I really needed to run edgy. So I made the changes to the sources.list and did a dist-upgrade. It all went fine until I rebooted. At that point the network didn't come up. I'm guessing the init is not running everything it is supposed to for some reason. The only error message I see that looks suspicious is:

Aug 8 10:20:03 bind9 kernel: Cannot find map file.

There are messages from mysql and postfix that tell me they need networking to run so they don't start which is understood.

Cron is up and running so init did get something started. What I can't figure out is what is supposed to start the networking. There no links to /etc/init.d/networking from /etc/rc2.d. There are to rc0.d rcS.d and rc5.d. That's the same as on a dapper VE I have running. The dapper VE works fine.

I compared the list of packages installed on both the dapper and the edgy systems. Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary.

This system is supposed to be a bind server, but I removed the package thinking that might have been the culprit. It didn't help.

So I'm looking for guidance on what is supposed to get the networking started?

Did I mention, the network comes up fine if I manually start it via /etc/init.d/networking start?

Thanks,
Jim.

I just found this http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&th=1304&star t=0&

The change from dash to bash was no help. I didn't do a second dist-upgrade so upstart isn't loaded, however I did edit the /etc/init.d/rc file and set quiet=yes and found that worked.

Jim.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 August 2007 18:45]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: *SOLVED* network performance
Next Topic: VE stopped but IP already in use! Posibly BUG
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 03 12:13:11 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02802 seconds