OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Only one VPS - sane resource policies?
icon5.gif  Only one VPS - sane resource policies? [message #1508] Fri, 10 February 2006 13:04 Go to next message
mephisto is currently offline  mephisto
I know that OpenVZ is meant for a big number of virtual machines, but I just need one for now and want it to have all the CPU/RAM/etc resources available.
What would be a sane config file for this setup?

Thanks in advance,

Mephisto
Re: Only one VPS - sane resource policies? [message #1514 is a reply to message #1508] Fri, 10 February 2006 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alticon-brian is currently offline  alticon-brian
To get the optimal settings for your Hardware node run the following:

vzsplit -n1

Running things inside of a VPS is a great idea especially for some critical apps that you need to replicate or restore quickly. This will let you back it up (as i showed in a previous thread) and easily restore it to any hardware platform running OpenVZ or Virtuozzo (can we say "cheap warm standby"?)
Re: Only one VPS - sane resource policies? [message #1518 is a reply to message #1508] Fri, 10 February 2006 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nice. Thanks for that.
Re: Only one VPS - sane resource policies? [message #1552 is a reply to message #1514] Mon, 13 February 2006 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dev is currently offline  dev

Yes, and another possible solution is to set all resource to "unlimited" value. But only if you know what you are doing Smile

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Only one VPS - sane resource policies? [message #1553 is a reply to message #1508] Mon, 13 February 2006 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I would keep a close watch on the failcnt column in /proc/user_beancounters and all values would remain at 0, can I assume that my vps runs at the highest speed possible, meaning that higher limits wouldn't help?
Re: Only one VPS - sane resource policies? [message #1557 is a reply to message #1553] Mon, 13 February 2006 08:24 Go to previous message
dev is currently offline  dev

for the resources which has "buf" in their names like tcprcvbuf, the highest speed is when VPS doesn't overcome it's barrier. when it overcomes limit TCP starts to reduce window size and so on, trying to push it to the limits.

For other resources failcnt is enough for highest speed.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Previous Topic: any plans when 2.6.15 branch is expected to get stable?
Next Topic: support for 3Ware \ 2 channel SATA RAID controller?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 21 08:28:55 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02647 seconds