OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » VZDUMP -inconsistent data
VZDUMP -inconsistent data [message #15487] Wed, 01 August 2007 21:30 Go to next message
dino is currently offline  dino
I am running Debian Etch as the VPS, and Ubuntu in one of the Virtuals running a Zimbra system.
My concern with VzDump is that : (My bad) I didn't planned ahead and created lvm system. -- I think I need to add a new Disk just for backups.

Here is my question:
Since I am using vzdump without suspend/snapshot (I can afford downtime), I know I am going to end up with inconsistent data.
In the case of PostFix/Ldap/Tomcat/Mysql ,
what would imply to have inconsistent data? When I restore using that backup, am I going to have corrupted files?

Regards,

Mario Antonio
Re: VZDUMP -inconsistent data [message #15524 is a reply to message #15487] Fri, 03 August 2007 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vaverin is currently offline  vaverin
Hi Mario,
content of your files will not have any corruptions.

"inconsistent" related to database files: latest changes can be saved in one table and not saved in other tables. You will not be able understand the status of latest database changes and even cannot undo these latest changes. As result your database will be broken and cannot be used anymore.

Thank you,
Vasily Averin

Re: VZDUMP -inconsistent data [message #15530 is a reply to message #15524] Fri, 03 August 2007 14:59 Go to previous message
dino is currently offline  dino
Vasily,

Thanks a lot for your information.

I guess if I do not use suspend/snapshot, I will have to to a vzdump restore, and then once the new Virtual is up and running, do a restore using native application tools such as Mysql dump.

I am planning to add a hard drive just for backups, making it a vg, and using it to create the snapshot.

Should I leave most of the space in this new vg un-allocated?

Regards,

Mario Antonio
Previous Topic: OpenVZ cluster
Next Topic: High Availability
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 04 04:25:31 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02614 seconds