OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » udevd hangs in VPS
udevd hangs in VPS [message #15314] Thu, 26 July 2007 16:22 Go to next message
tpso
Hi every body

I have run into a problem testing centos 5 on a FC5 host.
Steve has done a good job creating a Centos-5-template, and it works fine, but the mix of centos 5 and FC5 seems to cause a strange problem with udevd, that I really would like to understand.

As descriped in the centos-5-template thread, I have found a fix:
If I change the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit line

/sbin/start_udev
to
[ -f /sys/class/tty/console/uevent ] && /sbin/start_udev

in the centos 5 VPS and restart it, it seems to work.

If I run /sbin/start_udev manually it complains about "kernel too old for this udev". This seems strange since i'm running the newest el5 kernel (2.6.18-8.1.4.el5.028stab035.1).

As far as I know FC5 and FC6 uses the same udev setup, but I really thought that the VPS depend only on the kernel (and its private filesystem).
Any one knows of other host packages / set up that may cause this. I have checked /proc/user_beancounter for ressource problems - but none fails occurs.

Any hint is appreciated.

/Thomas
Re: udevd hangs in VPS [message #15327 is a reply to message #15314] Fri, 27 July 2007 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vaverin is currently offline  vaverin
Thomas,

udev in latest distributions (IMHO beginning from FC5) uses uevent interface in sysfs to collect information about devices that it should create.
Uevent interface is a relative new feature and only latest linux kernels support it.
Sysfs support inside VE is very restricted -- each sysfs entry eats some system resources and we're try do not add any new sysfs entries needlessly.

When udev inside VE udev cannot find device with uevent it decided that it has been executed on old kernel without Uevent support and complains "kernel too old for this udev".

thank you,
Vasily Averin
Re: udevd hangs in VPS [message #15356 is a reply to message #15327] Fri, 27 July 2007 19:10 Go to previous message
tpso
Thanks for the explanation, for start_udev to complain about kernel version.

regards
Thomas
Previous Topic: *SOLVED* Uninstall
Next Topic: *SOLVED* Weird vps stop
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 05:52:19 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02244 seconds