OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » opensuse 10.2
Re: opensuse 10.2 [message #15200 is a reply to message #15164] Fri, 20 July 2007 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Alexey Eremenko is currently offline  Alexey Eremenko
Thanks a lot Vasily.

To get more info, you can read some of my posts of the past:
http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=tree&th=2446&mid =12562&&rev=&reveal=
http://marc.info/?l=opensuse&m=117819085209106&w=2

Currently openVZ is tied *very closely* with Red Hat, but I would really like to break this RedHat-centric monopol.

The monopol is felt very well, when I start reading openVZ official documentation and it's success stories with CentOS/RHEL/Fedora/... and tips about those OSes.

What's wrong with current situation:
1. *none* of the kernels available on the net works with openSUSE 10.2. or 10.3 Alpha. Not even VZ kernel from openSUSE 10.0.

2. OpenVZ Documentation is absolutely RedHat centric.

I'm going to *fix* that one - once I will get a stable openVZ/ openSUSE-compatible kernel, I will try to write the necessary documentation for openSUSE. I plan to have this documentation available as part of openSUSE distro, and I have no plans to integrate this documentation upstream, into openVZ itself, but I may change this plan if asked.
Once my documentation will become part of openSUSE, it will be easier to direct Susers to my documentation, rather than official documentation.

3. What else may I do to improve the terrible lack of integration between openVZ and openSUSE ? (I'm non-developer)

-Alexey "Technologov"

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message