OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *SOLVED* VEs with different subnets
*SOLVED* VEs with different subnets [message #14542] Sun, 01 July 2007 23:25 Go to previous message
ugo123 is currently offline  ugo123
Hello,

Since my local tests with OpenVZ were working perfectly, I've installed yesterday a few boxes in production running OpenVZ in order to deploy my services and to replace my current Xen architecture.

So far so good.... up to the network part... and I'm seriously about to hang myself, I've been stuck for like 7 hours straight.... so any kind of help would be GREATLY appreciated Smile

Here's the deal :

I want to reproduce a similar network topology I had with Xen which was to put all the HN (dom0) inside a private subnet 10.1.0.0/16, outside of Internet, with a gateway 10.1.1.1 providing internet access to them, to save a few IPs and to isolate the HNs from public access.
And to give to the VEs (domU), IPs from a public routable subnet provided by my ISP, and the VEs to directly connect to the gateway of the ISP (their router) as their default route.

With Xen it wasn't a problem, I just had to create an interface for the domU, to set it up like a normal box directly connected to the Internet with its public IP and the ISP gateway, and that's all....

From what I've read through the documentation and the wiki, it seems it is not possible in that way with OpenVZ... at least not with the venet device....
Am I right ?
I was quite disappointed, until I found the veth device in the wiki.... which seems to be the real thing for me and to act the way that I want Smile
[I don't care about the possible security issue, since I am not a reseller dealing with evil customers, and I'm running in a fully trusted environment]

But still, it's been a few hours that I've tried to make the thing work and I can't :/

I've followed the examples here
http://wiki.openvz.org/Virtual_Ethernet_device

So far, I have the veth101.0 device on the HN for my VE with ID 101, I also have the eth0 on the VE.
I've put all the sysctl calls explained on the wiki, the route add on both the HN and the VE, etc... but still... all I can do is :

ping the VE from the HN with it's Internet IP.
ping the HN and its subnet

and nothing more Sad (no one can ping the VE from the outside except the HN, and I don't have Internet from the VE)

Is what I want to do impossible with the current way OpenVZ is built ?
Has someone succeeded ? If yes, is the wiki complete ? And someone could share its configuration if it has a similar setup running ?

Thanks a lot in advance !

Ugo

[Updated on: Wed, 11 July 2007 09:53] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message