OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *SOLVED* New Install - Looking for some advice
icon5.gif  *SOLVED* New Install - Looking for some advice [message #14160] Sat, 16 June 2007 03:40 Go to next message
ronpoz is currently offline  ronpoz
Greetings All,

I have been tinkering a bit with openvz and now I am to the point where I want to redo my whole server around it....perhaps.

I am managing a dedicated P3 3.0 Ghz / 1GB RAM / 2 x 80GB SATA server running Debian stable (etch)

I am running basically a LAMP install for approx 10 websites that get under 500 hits a day. I am also running Postfix and Courier-IMAP for email for about 15 people, no more than 500 emails per day.

The main reason why I wanted to roll OpenVZ was so that I could have an instance of Zimbra running. Zimbra is an opensource collaboration server that provides email, calendaring, etc... The issue I had is that Zimbra pretty much takes over your server installing tomcat/postfix/apache/mysql/openldap and more.

Rather than me get a new dedicated server, I wanted to slice it up since I am under utilizing the server.

HERE IS MY QUESTION!

I have two options as I see it:

1. Keep all my existing stuff running as-is and add 1 virtual server running Ubuntu to accomodate the Zimbra install
2. Wipe my current server and install CentOS and then add:
a. VS1 - running debian etch for my websites
b. VS2 - running Ubuntu to run Zimbra

So I am trying to see if it provides better performance to either run openvz with 1 VS for Zimbra or to slice it up and run two, thus removing any website serving off the host OS.

Thoughts? Many thanks for your assistance!!

Ron

[Updated on: Thu, 21 June 2007 09:13] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: New Install - Looking for some advice [message #14163 is a reply to message #14160] Sat, 16 June 2007 09:57 Go to previous message
rickb is currently offline  rickb
Hi Ron, your situation is exactly where many of the business and technical advantages of virtualization can be demonstrated.

There is no measurable performance loss from operating a network service in the VE vs. out of the VE, based on what I have read and seen myself. Further, at your level of application load, there will surely not be any loss. Having multiple VEs on one physical server, each operating "conflicting" software is one of the best and cost effective reasons to move towards a virtualized server architecture.

Good luck and let us know if you run into any problems.

Rick

-------------
Common Terms I post with: http://wiki.openvz.org/Category:Definitions

UBC. Learn it, love it, live it: http://wiki.openvz.org/Proc/user_beancounters
Previous Topic: *SOLVED* Disk quota error
Next Topic: *SOLVED* Can't create /dev/tty9
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 20:09:04 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02459 seconds