OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *SUGGESTION* Restructuring and Improving CONF files
Re: Restructuring and Improving CONF files [message #13817 is a reply to message #13798] Wed, 06 June 2007 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Hello,

you wrote:
Quote:

First, instead of setting in bytes or even worse 4k pages, why not K,M and G for kilobytes, megabytes,and gigabytes? Thus instead of 4k pages - 512 megs of ram is.
Sorry, but I don't think that it is a good reason to change config file syntax because it confuses you Wink For me it's more clear and convenient to see the values there in bytes and in pages, and, I guess, I'm not alone Smile I strongly believe, it is a duty of some more high level tools to display settings in config file in various ways, which certain users prefer. BTW, vzlist can help you in it:
# expr `vzlist -Ho kmemsize.l 4` / 1024
This is the kmemsize limit for VE 4 in kilobytes.

you wrote:
Quote:

Having said that I would also have the ability to not specify anything and have the system compute a logical default value based on formulas for values not specified or set to zero. Let the computer do the figuring.
Hmmm... At the moment after creating of VE you should not set any values - they are set by default. Then, assume, you run some application in this VE and it fails, because some limit is hit. But OpenVZ doesn't know, is it expected (administrator have set reasonable limit and somebody tries to overpass it), or the system is misconfigured! So I guess it's impossible (or very hard) to "let the computer do the figuring". BTW, in Virtuozzo (commercial OpenVZ) there is SLM technology, that replaces UBC and greatly simplifies resources limitation. You can read about it at SWSoft website.

HTH,
Vasily.

Read Message icon10.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: *RESOLVED* template generation
Next Topic: Private virtual network with multiple VPN and NAT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Oct 08 04:36:13 GMT 2024