OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » vzctl --wait problem
vzctl --wait problem [message #12815] Thu, 10 May 2007 20:08 Go to next message
sodi is currently offline  sodi
Hi,

Sometimes
vzctl start 101 --wait 3
results in a kernel panic of the host, such that I have to reset the whole server.
This is not deterministic, sometimes it happens already on the first start and sometimes after some starts and stops.
It never happens without the wait option. As far as I can see there is some usleep() call which causes the crash. So this might also be a problem with the linux kernel of the host

Any ideas ? Why ? How to solve ?

I compiled a linux 2.6.18 kernel with current patches. If the start works everything is fine.

The machine is a 8 core x86.

And yes, the --wait parameter is important since we want to execute some scripts after starting the ve, so I need a running linux.

Thanks for any help or hints.
Re: vzctl --wait problem [message #12827 is a reply to message #12815] Fri, 11 May 2007 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Hello,

We need a kernel panic message. Please, post it here. Also specify the exact kernel version (we have several current in different series) and vzctl version.

Thank you,
Vasily.
Re: vzctl --wait problem [message #12834 is a reply to message #12827] Fri, 11 May 2007 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For compiling the kernel I followed the instruction of the wiki entry, so from kernel.org:
linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2
with patch
patch-ovz028stab031.1-combined.gz
I also checked the .config settings against the entries mentioned in the wiki for kernel build.

Sorry for the kernel log, but it's a problem for me, since the machine is somewhere else and I use putty to login, so I can't really see the console, is there a file where the kernel messages could be found, I checked in /var/log, but can't see a file with kernel panic messages.
As far as I know there was something wrt "recursive" and something with "usleep(50000)" mentioned on the console. I'll ask for the console screen next time it'll happen.

Thanks for reply, I know kernel stack would be helpfull.
Re: vzctl --wait problem [message #12835 is a reply to message #12834] Fri, 11 May 2007 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

See http://wiki.openvz.org/Remote_console_setup on the info how to obtain kernel panic messages.

Also, since the oops happening sporadically, you might want to test your hardware before: http://wiki.openvz.org/Hardware_testing

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png

[Updated on: Fri, 11 May 2007 08:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: vzctl --wait problem [message #12864 is a reply to message #12835] Sat, 12 May 2007 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the serial console/netconsole hints, I think this would be some last chance try (netconsole might work for me)
Also since the installation usual is done remotely and the KVM is not always on, it's only by chance to get a photo from the console.

Anyway, after changing the HPET support in kernel compile options to "no" and recompiling the kernel, I didn't get the kernel panic any more. May be this is a specific problem to a 2 Quad-Core Intel Xeon system. I don't think this is really an openVZ problem, but a general kernel problem.
(It was the same .config except the HPET was disabled)
Since then I created several ve, stopped / started them w/o any problems.

Sorry, that I can't be more helpful with console information. I know that if there is a problem, it could generally improve openVZ, if the reason is known.

[Updated on: Sat, 12 May 2007 18:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: vzctl --wait problem [message #12879 is a reply to message #12864] Mon, 14 May 2007 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Hello,

Thank you for your information. I just compiled OpenVZ kernel with HPET turned on but unfortunately on my system (2 x Opteron 25) `vzctl start <veid> --wait` works smoothly.

Can you tell me the template you're using and attach here (as attachment!) the .config file you're using when `vzctl start <veid> --wait` fails.

Thank you for your help,
Vasily
Re: vzctl --wait problem [message #12905 is a reply to message #12815] Mon, 14 May 2007 16:21 Go to previous message
The configuration for the "working" kernel is appended (I didn't change most of the default options). I assume at least that it's working, since I didn't have any problems with it by now. With HPET enabled the crash happened about once in ten trials.

As template I used "opensuse-10-i386-default.tar.gz", since the machine is not allowed to talk to web, I used the precreated template. But still I don't think this is really a problem of the template, I didn't change it.

I was guessing for HPET, since it seemed to me that there had been several patches applied between .18 to .21 wrt SMP. I'm not a kernel expert, just looking for patches for timer / HPET.
Previous Topic: NAT enabled but VE cannot communicate beyond HN
Next Topic: Kernel OOPS with kernel 2.6.18 and openvz 0.28.18.1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 18 13:49:20 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04847 seconds