OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Creating a VPS with SuSE 10.1
Creating a VPS with SuSE 10.1 [message #12710] Mon, 07 May 2007 17:00 Go to previous message
ovzuser is currently offline  ovzuser
Hi,
i have installed openvz (SuSE 10.1 kernel) with a SuSE 10.1 VPS and basic functions seem to work.

A few questions:

1) VEs don't have /dev/console, right? SuSEs startup and halt scripts depend rather much on a console. There are a lot of showconsole and setconsole commands in their scripts (/etc/init.d/boot, /etc/init.d/rc, /etc/init.d/halt). And SuSEs "startpar" program fails at all without a console. I have replaced /dev/console with /var/log/boot.log at many places and switched parallel execution off (/etc/sysconfig/boot: RUN_PARALLEL="no").

With all the patches i was able to bring up a VE with SuSE 10.1 (german version). Of course it would be fine _not_ to need all the modifications.

Will there be a /dev/console in a future release of openvz, possibly pointing to some logfile?

2) After getting my VE to work i created a template "SuSE-Linux-10.1-i386-de.tar.gz". I gave it a configuration file "SuSE-Linux-10.1.conf" in /etc/vz/dists by simply copying opensuse.conf. Now what: A VE created with my new template didn't work! Could not mount /sys because kernel does not support sysfs. I knew my kernel did this before all the time. At the end i found out it's the template / configuration name. I now have opensuse-10.1-i386-de.tar.gz and opensuse-10.1.conf and it works.

Obviously the configuration name need not be identical to ostemplate name. I suppose my first try used the wrong conf-file (vzctl even with DEBUG=2 und VERBOSE=1 did not show what's going on). OTH what i have seen only add_ip, set_hostname etc are influenced by conf-files. Why was sysfs lost then? Is "opensuse" hardcoded somewhere?

How is name matching from ostemplate to conf-file done?

markus

[Updated on: Mon, 07 May 2007 17:01]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Jumbo Frames Support
Next Topic: New OS Template creation - What to exclude ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 30 16:07:22 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04387 seconds