OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Hostname resolution outside of VE?
Hostname resolution outside of VE? [message #12314] Tue, 24 April 2007 19:08 Go to next message
cheuschober is currently offline  cheuschober
Hi. This is my first time working with openvz and iptables but I must say I'm very impressed and excited by all of it.

One thing irks me, though.... I can't seem to figure out how to have the hostnames of the VE's available to the outside lan. Is there a way to make this happen?

I can ping the VE ip address from other machines without a problem and the other machines have dns resolution on their ip's because the nameserver I point the ve to serves the greater network and that router registers all hostnames with the dns. The router (a pfsense machine) also lets me set static routes for hostnames and ip's but it only registers those hostnames in DNS when a lease is taken out on the ip.

Now, I'm no networking expert, but common sense would say I need some sort of forwarding mechanism and either the hostname or the whole ip needs to come from my lan router... right?

Does some sort of functionality for this exist?

Many thanks!
~Chad
Re: Hostname resolution outside of VE? [message #12333 is a reply to message #12314] Wed, 25 April 2007 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

We do not have functionality to lease IPs from DHCP server for VEs. So you either have to set up a separate domain (and thus the nameserver) for your VEs, OR perhaps you can add some static entries to pfsense (don't have any experience with it).

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Hostname resolution outside of VE? [message #12362 is a reply to message #12333] Wed, 25 April 2007 17:10 Go to previous message
cheuschober is currently offline  cheuschober
Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Ahh. Pfsense does allow for static routes but it only enables them if a lease has been taken out on the ip (which I take as a resonable and secure choice on their parts). Since the ip used by a ve is 'unknown' to the router no lease is taken from the router.

I guess setting up a separate domain is the best option, then. Would it be too much to ask for a two-sentence description of what's involved with that? I can do the research on my own with regards to the specific tools, I just need a little help pointing me in the right direction.

Best,
~Chad
Previous Topic: *SOLVED* control-C ignored in VE ??
Next Topic: vzyum public key error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 04 11:19:50 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04491 seconds