OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » using /dev/ttyS0 inside a VM ?
icon5.gif  using /dev/ttyS0 inside a VM ? [message #11853] Tue, 10 April 2007 06:41 Go to next message
rema is currently offline  rema
Hi,

A plan to use openvz for a faxserver using hylafax and my clientprog. Is it possible to use the serialport inside a VM ?

Best Rene
Re: using /dev/ttyS0 inside a VM ? [message #11945 is a reply to message #11853] Thu, 12 April 2007 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Hello,

Yes, it should be possible. You should only grant VE permissions to use ttyS0 via `vzctl set <veid> --devnodes <..> --save`.

HTH,
Vasily.
Re: using /dev/ttyS0 inside a VM ? [message #11951 is a reply to message #11945] Thu, 12 April 2007 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rema is currently offline  rema
hi

thnx for your replay.

I'll try it and report success or not Wink

best rema
Re: using /dev/ttyS0 inside a VM ? [message #33157 is a reply to message #11853] Thu, 25 September 2008 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
karlh626 is currently offline  karlh626
This does give you access to the modem from the VM - minicom can dial the modem fine.

Am still having trouble getting hylafax to work correctly. Hylafax will dial the modem, but then it hangs up right away and the logs show an "Unknown Error".

I am very interested to know if anyone else is using Hylafax under OpenVZ.
Re: using /dev/ttyS0 inside a VM ? [message #35488 is a reply to message #11853] Mon, 30 March 2009 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lowlow2
"I'll try it and report success or not"

Did it work out then?

Or other people with experience openvz+hylafax?

[Updated on: Mon, 30 March 2009 14:11]

Report message to a moderator

CAPI and OpenVZ [message #35664 is a reply to message #11853] Sat, 11 April 2009 17:07 Go to previous message
laotse is currently offline  laotse
I'm struggling with such problems the whole day. Unfortunately, I'm not sufficiently familar with the ISDN/CAPI stack, to do more than trial and error.

Could anyone report in reasonable detail what it takes to get CAPI applications running inside a VE?

After I failed setting up Asterisk with chan_capi, I went for my current setup, using SIP only Asterisk (works in VE) and another VE hosting Hylafax and a voicebox. But setting up Hylafax failed at about the same steps, where Asterisk ran into a dead end.

I'm using Debian Lenny (Host and VE) and an AVM B1 card. capiinfo on the node looks fine. My reference setup has a Fritz!PCI, so I'm just pretty sure that it looks fine. Sad

Since there are some reports about Asterisk with chan_capi running inside a VE, there should be someone knowing how to achieve this.

Well, trying to setup Hylafax inside a VE I forced it to ignore it's dependency on capiutils, which installed allright on the Node and produced all devnodes it should take, which I in turn exported to the VE. Starting c2faxrecv inside the VE finally locked me out of the entire node! Evil or Very Mad I had to switch it off, enter in single-user mode and destroy the VE. Something I'd expected OpenVZ to prevent strictly. Especially on a Quad-Core.

Any help appreciated,
- lars.
Previous Topic: Disabling all limits
Next Topic: Missing RPM database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 13:14:37 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02318 seconds