OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *SOLVED* Plesk 7.5 user - what happens at disk quota limit?
*SOLVED* Plesk 7.5 user - what happens at disk quota limit? [message #11628] Thu, 29 March 2007 17:16 Go to next message
BrianBatson is currently offline  BrianBatson
Hi OpenVZ,

Please indulge and if necessary forgive the newbie post. I have not encountered this software until recently.

I am a customer of a PLESK 7.5 Reloaded system with a 10gb disk quota. Something happened to my server (perhaps a "glitch/error") that caused it to hit disk quota limit. I did not get to investigate the reports of du or df at that moment. I did remove about 500MB and then saw my PLESK report say about 3.6gb used - jumping from 100% to about 36% utilization. I saw in the messages log a comment

My question is - with the disk quota limit in place, I believe it is hard limit. You can't borrow or temporarily use a little extra. And there is no warning - no code that should have been run to notify the administrator of the pending issue. Is that correct?

In my recent experience, the memory limit, if not a glitch, was the result of an incoming email message that pushed the memory over the limit. That implies I must have had the system at 9.999 gb when the mail came in. In any case, Linux couldn't write system files and during reboot it "zeroed" a fair number of xinetd services - and crashed/failed - requiring a complete system rebuild. I never saw anything about a memory allocation problem until I reviewed the messages log (which itself became truncated).

I'd like to avoid this in the future. Can I get the hosting company to configure a soft limit? Can I turn on any kind of reporting? Do I need to check often?

Thank you for your time and help.

[Updated on: Wed, 04 April 2007 12:20] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Plesk 7.5 user - what happens at disk quota limit? [message #11640 is a reply to message #11628] Fri, 30 March 2007 11:06 Go to previous message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Hello,

There are soft limit and hard limit in OpenVZ disk quota. Disk usage over soft limit is permitted only during grace period. After this period expires, soft limit is enforced as a hard limit. So your provider can configure soft limit and grace period.

But! Note, that anyway, df and other tools that use statfs system call will receive information, that there is no available space, but they'll be able to write. Smile I'm rather sure, that Plesk gets information namely by this syscall (or just by parsing dd/stat output). So setting softlimit and grace period by your provider will help only partially.

HTH,
Vasily.
Previous Topic: *SOLVED* download site down
Next Topic: *SOLVED* VE capabilies
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 00:24:21 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02506 seconds