OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *SOLVED* Best way to migrate a server with multiple IPs to VE solution
*SOLVED* Best way to migrate a server with multiple IPs to VE solution [message #11322] Mon, 19 March 2007 12:10 Go to next message
dansut is currently offline  dansut
Firstly, I'm totally new to virtualization and it's been a while since I did any in depth networking stuff. Been doing lots of reading though and I'm convinced that OpenVZ is going to be a great solution for me ... I'm just slightly stuck on the best way to proceed with migrating my server setup.

I have a leased dedicated server which servers many Web sites, etc. using 12 assigned IP addresses - where all these addresses are on the same subnet and actually same NIC (eth0, eth0:0-10). As far as I can see I can simply move my IPs from eth0:X interfaces onto the venet interfaces of VEs I create, however I'm sure that then I'll need to do something with routing/ARP/something to actually have this continue to work as I expect ... and as much as I've looked I can't find a HOWTO for this situation.

I'm probably missing something simple, or have overlooked some docs, maybe there's multiple ways to do this, any help/advice/pointers would be most appreciated.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 March 2007 06:43] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Best way to migrate a server with multiple IPs to VE solution [message #11325 is a reply to message #11322] Mon, 19 March 2007 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

Generally speaking, vzctl takes care of it — it sends ARP packets, sets up routing etc. The only things you have to check are:

1. IP forwarding is enabled on the host system
2. IP addresses used for VEs are from the same subnet as the IP of the host system, OR if they are from the different subnet, other systems should have a route to that subnet with the gateway being host system IP.

Further reading: http://wiki.openvz.org/Category:Networking

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Best way to migrate a server with multiple IPs to VE solution [message #11361 is a reply to message #11325] Tue, 20 March 2007 23:24 Go to previous message
dansut is currently offline  dansut
Thanks - I guess I was looking for problems where there were none. I should have just tried it because it does work automagically like you say. There's no docs to mention this because nothing needs to be done ... Razz
Previous Topic: *SOLVED* how Do I recreate /proc/user_beancounters file?
Next Topic: *SOLVED* Data Corruption on HN crash
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Oct 28 18:06:31 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.10030 seconds