OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Kernel Compile
Kernel Compile [message #1107] Tue, 31 January 2006 18:43 Go to next message
johan_hammy is currently offline  johan_hammy
Getting OpenVZ working with a 3rd party driver is getting to be a PITA. How do I just compile the OpenVZ kernel from scratch?

For OpenVZ to gain traction, adding drivers to the host OS should not be any more complicated than doing so for CentOS.
Re: Kernel Compile [message #1108 is a reply to message #1107] Tue, 31 January 2006 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

I didn't quite get your question.

To recompile src.rpm, you run
rpmbuild --rebuild --target=i686 ovzkernel*.src.rpm

(if using x86_64, omit the --target option)

To recompile from sources, you need to get linux-2.6.x.tar.bz2 from kernel.org, then apply combined patch (available from kernel download page), then compile as usual.

Finally, if you have some hardware which is not supported in OpenVZ kernel, just file a bug report, specifying all the details (kernel you have used that works, openvz kernel that doesn't work, what hardware it is, lspci, lspci -n, there to take the driver etc.)

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Kernel Compile [message #1109 is a reply to message #1108] Tue, 31 January 2006 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I rebuilt the kernel and it works once with version 51 or whatever it was. I've since upgraded to 61 and 64. I've rebuilt the kernel and re-installed countless times. I've make clean and started over on the driver. A new version of the driver was released yesterday and I still can't get it to work. Same errors as before.

So let me see what I need to do here:

rebuild the kernel source RPM
reinstall kernel
make clean driver; make; make install

Should work?

Should I not have the binary version of the kernel around? Anything else I should or should not have?
Re: Kernel Compile [message #1110 is a reply to message #1108] Tue, 31 January 2006 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My mistake. It kept re-installing the binary version I downloaded. Once I removed that, the problems went away.
Re: Kernel Compile [message #1111 is a reply to message #1108] Wed, 01 February 2006 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

It does generate a load of 1000 interrupts per second. This means that you always need CPU time. And a timely response of it.

This is coming from someone that doesn't quite understand VPS, but since the driver runs on the host OS, does the resource control from the VPS architecture have any effect on it?
Re: Kernel Compile [message #1112 is a reply to message #1111] Wed, 01 February 2006 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dev is currently offline  dev

no, it has nothing to do with a driver.
the question is really strange.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Kernel Compile [message #1120 is a reply to message #1112] Wed, 01 February 2006 15:52 Go to previous message
oh, sorry, I put that in response to the wrong post. I'll have to get that moved elsewhere.
Previous Topic: KDE Desktop in vps
Next Topic: ulog
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 20 12:20:12 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02567 seconds