OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Running VEs on a Strato Hostsystem with natted public->private ip-addresses
[SOLVED BELOW] Re: Running VEs on a Strato Hostsystem with natted public->private ip-addresses [message #10970 is a reply to message #9720] Sat, 10 March 2007 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
jonwatson is currently offline  jonwatson
I'm having exactly the same problem, yet I know for certain that there is no other machine on the network with this IP.

I had an IP assigned to a running VE and then didn't need it anymore. So I stopped and destroyed the VE. From that point on, I have been enable to use this IP again because whenever I try to start a new VE with that IP, I get the IP Address in use error.

I then abandoned that IP address altogether and created a new VE with a new IP address that I had never used before. I get the samee results.

Starting VE ...
VE is mounted
Adding IP address(es): 68.128.52.229
arpsend: 68.128.52.229 is detected on another computer : 00:0c:30:c1:87:ff
vps-net_add WARNING: arpsend -c 1 -w 1 -D -e 68.128.52.229 eth0 FAILED

If I understand correctly, when a VE starts, it sends a ping or something to the IP address it is going to use. If something responds, then it thinks the address is in use and fails.

The MAC asddress that is responding to the pings (or whatever they are) is the MAC address of my provider's gateway. I don't know why it responds to these pings, but I do know that the IP is not in use.

Is there some way to bypass this check or force OpenVZ to start regardless?

This little problem has rendered my box pretty much useless to serving up VPSes.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

[Updated on: Mon, 12 March 2007 08:57] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message