OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Does Virtualization Technology benefit my running OpenVZ?
Does Virtualization Technology benefit my running OpenVZ? [message #10612] Sat, 24 February 2007 10:54 Go to next message
JimL is currently offline  JimL
I have a system with the Intel Virtualization Technology hardware. Does OpenVZ benefit in any way from this feature? If not will it in the future or is this not something the OpenVZ concept can utilize?

Thanks,
Jim
Re: Does Virtualization Technology benefit my running OpenVZ? [message #10619 is a reply to message #10612] Sat, 24 February 2007 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ehab is currently offline  ehab
No by vary nature openVZ and other kernel virtualization technologies like vserver do not NEEED CPU to have virtualization.

VMware and Xen allow you to have different kernels and operating systems on the same physical server, with this you need a lot of work or hardware support to have multiple kernels on the same physical server. But with openvz the same kernel ( albiet a modified one ) is shared accross all vps.

This means the following
no need for hardware virtualization

memory and CPU are seamlessly shared and can be dynamically allocated and even oversold between VPSs, whereas with vmware or xen memory allocation is fixed.

no slow hardware and disk access due to virtualization like in xen and vmware

Only one OS kernel can run, ie only linux so different VPSs can not have windows for example nor a different kernel.

Some operations can not be done in VPSs that are possible on physical hardware and XEN, VMware. Still Xen/vmware do have similar but less limitations.

If you are running only linux as a server and want multiple virtual machines on a dedicated server openvz is the way to go, if you just want to dabble and play around or want both windows and linux then go for xen/vmware.

Re: Does Virtualization Technology benefit my running OpenVZ? [message #10627 is a reply to message #10619] Sat, 24 February 2007 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JimL is currently offline  JimL
Thanks, I wasn't sure if there was anything it bought me. I have need for both a semi production environment and a "playground" to learn new stuff. I have VMware workstation and Xen running but am somewhat disappointed with Xen to date. OpenVZ even with the marginal Debian and Ubuntu support is still much easier to get to work. VMware is nice, but costly.

It would be nice to be able to run Windows in parallel with Linux, but I need access to the hardware from both and Xen doesnt' provide that worth a flip.

Jim.
Re: Does Virtualization Technology benefit my running OpenVZ? [message #10628 is a reply to message #10627] Sat, 24 February 2007 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ehab is currently offline  ehab
vmware player and lower end server are both free but not open source.

Re: Does Virtualization Technology benefit my running OpenVZ? [message #10629 is a reply to message #10612] Sat, 24 February 2007 20:03 Go to previous message
jarcher is currently offline  jarcher
I have been looking t running Xen or VMware on my machine and then running Debian / OpenZY in one of the VMs. If I want, I can have two VMs with OpenVZ inside each one, one for production and one for testing. You could even put a Windows boz in a third. It all depends upon what your machine can do.

With VMWare (I don't know about Xen) your full virt machines can't have resources allocsted arbitrarily accross the VMs. If you have 4 BMs running, each one gets 25% of thye machine. That's the biggest problem.

Previous Topic: *SOLVED* Problem installing on Debian from systs.org
Next Topic: Debian and creating a template cache
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Oct 02 03:07:51 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04189 seconds