OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *SOLVED* red hat 7.2 on debian sarge HN
*SOLVED* red hat 7.2 on debian sarge HN [message #10512] Tue, 20 February 2007 07:29 Go to next message
stoffell is currently offline  stoffell
Hi,

I have been trying to get a Red Hat 7.2 VE running on a Debian Sarge (with kernel 2.6.18-openvz-amd64) for a few days now. Startup goes well, as well as all the daemons. (mysql/apache/..)

The problem arises when I stop the VE, it takes 2 minutes and thus times out. (it gets stopped because of the 2 minute timeout)

I have tried stopping all the services (mysql/apache/cron/xinetd/..) before stopping the VE, but this does not help.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this? I don't notice anything weird in the logs so I guess it's a minor issue that keeps the VE from stopping properly.

cheers!

[Updated on: Wed, 21 February 2007 08:52] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: red hat 7.2 on debian sarge HN [message #10518 is a reply to message #10512] Tue, 20 February 2007 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Hello,

Well, I guess there are some problems with parameters, that are not properly managed by old init process...
The easy they to solve it: try to stop the VEs by:
# vzctl stop <veid> --fast

Report, please, does it help you or not.

Thanks,
Vasily.
Re: red hat 7.2 on debian sarge HN [message #10519 is a reply to message #10518] Tue, 20 February 2007 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stoffell is currently offline  stoffell
Vasily Tarasov wrote on Tue, 20 February 2007 09:33

# vzctl stop <veid> --fast

Report, please, does it help you or not.
Thanks,
Vasily.

Thanks a lot, that does work!

However, is this safe to do on a (production) server running mysql and other processes? (named, apache,..)

Thanks!
Kristof.
Re: red hat 7.2 on debian sarge HN [message #10520 is a reply to message #10519] Tue, 20 February 2007 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, if you stop all services in VE (mysql, named, apache, ...) manually - it is, I suppose, rather safe. But if you don't, it isn't.

Anyway, if you want to use such VE in production, it's better to investigate, what's the problem... If you can download me a OS template you're using or give me an access to the node, I can take a look at this problem.

Vasily
Re: red hat 7.2 on debian sarge HN [message #10541 is a reply to message #10520] Wed, 21 February 2007 08:51 Go to previous message
During PMing and experiments at the node we found out what was the problem.

In the VE two different `halt` programs existed:
/sbin/halt
and
/usr/bin/halt

The right one, that stops VE is /sbin/halt, but vzctl seeks "halt" program to run in the following order: /bin:/usr/bin:/sbin. So, vzctl found /usr/bin/halt, ran it, but this "halt" didn't stop VE.

I don't know where /usr/bin/halt is from, at least it doesn't belong to any RPM installed on the system. So, I just moved /usr/bin/halt to /usr/bin/halt.backup. And now `vzctl stop` works quickly.

Good luck,
Vasily
Previous Topic: *CLOSED* Differences in /proc handling between 2.6.18 and 2.6.9 openvz kernels
Next Topic: *SOLVED* pure-ftpd under openvz
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 09 21:31:45 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02441 seconds