OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Control Panels
Control Panels [message #995] Tue, 24 January 2006 22:12 Go to next message
dkuntz is currently offline  dkuntz
Other than Webmin/Usermin, what control panels work properly on OpenVZ?

I'm currently testing ISPConfig (and modified my FC4 template to install all required parts), and it works, however, I cant include the software in the template (well, I can...), as it has many config lines that want the server hostname, which wont be the same as the original. I'm working with them to see if there's something I can do so I can just make the vps, with ISPConfig installed.

Back to the point at hand. These will be for light weight VPSs, as a lower cost alternative to our normal VPS packages. I'd like suggestions on what is good, and easy for hosting newbies to navigate, in terms of panels.

Webmin is good for those who know what their doing, but a lot of customers even break their servers running Plesk. So I'd like something "pretty" (ie: simple GUI), and that will install on OpenVZ without much hassle.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Re: Control Panels [message #1031 is a reply to message #995] Thu, 26 January 2006 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

Quote:

as it has many config lines that want the server hostname, which wont be the same as the original.

This could be easily overcome by having a "first-start" script which will executing during first start of a freshly-created VPS and do all those final config changes related to hostname etc. (this is usually done with sed or sometimes perl). The last thing what this script should do is to exclude itself from the start.

The only restriction of that approach is you have to set hostname and other involved parameters before the first VPS start. In any case, you have the script to run in a VPS which will set up all this stuff.

The other problem could be to find all those places you need to change -- and more often than not this is not really a problem.

As for the control panels for end users - the good one I've seen is VZPP for VPS owner interface - it's indeed very lightweight and easy even for novice users. Sorry to say this is not for free and currently available only as a part of Virtuozzo.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png

[Updated on: Thu, 26 January 2006 21:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Control Panels [message #1032 is a reply to message #995] Thu, 26 January 2006 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkuntz is currently offline  dkuntz
Yeah, for our main VPS offerings we have VZPP for the enduser, and of course VZMC for the support staff.

The big advantage I've found for OpenVZ over Virtuozzo is the easy of modifying the templates, which is a tad more complex with Virtuozzo (other than the 3.0RC).
Re: Control Panels [message #1269 is a reply to message #1032] Sun, 05 February 2006 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dev is currently offline  dev

Yes, but as you mentioned correctly VZ3.0 is shipped with the similar templates technology. So it is not an advantage.
OpenVZ was a first step towards such templates actually.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Control Panels [message #1596 is a reply to message #995] Tue, 14 February 2006 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jbond007 is currently offline  jbond007
Sad i try IPSconfig and i see errors when i run the script
server not compatible i run fedora 4
please help me to install this control panel another one http://www.web-cp.net
please help me to finish my Lab test ISPconfig panel
Re: Control Panels [message #4451 is a reply to message #1596] Mon, 10 July 2006 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CleberDantas is currently offline  CleberDantas
Hi,

I have the OPENVZ installed in my server. How I add the panel of virtuozzo in it?
Re: Control Panels [message #4488 is a reply to message #995] Tue, 11 July 2006 17:50 Go to previous message
aistis is currently offline  aistis

Frankly - no how. Virtuozzo panels come with Virtuozzo only. They are not a separate product.

Aistis Zenkevicius
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-user.png
Previous Topic: How fine virtualization could openvz do?
Next Topic: Using OpenVZ as a development environment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Oct 17 02:57:24 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05402 seconds