OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Pureftpd and Linux capabilties
Pureftpd and Linux capabilties [message #4203] Sun, 02 July 2006 16:02 Go to next message
christoph is currently offline  christoph
Hello!

I'm trying to get pureftpd running inside a Debian sarge VPS.
There seems to be a problem with Linux capabilities.

What can be done to solve that issue without recompiling pureftpd with "--without-capabilities"?

# /etc/init.d/pure-ftpd-mysql start
Starting ftp server: Running: /usr/sbin/pure-ftpd-mysql -l mysql:/etc/pure-ftpd/db/mysql.conf -E -u 60 -O clf:/var/log/ftp/transfer.log -A -B
421 Unable to switch capabilities : Operation not permitted

My versions:
ii pure-ftpd-common 1.0.19-4 Pure-FTPd FTP server (Common Files)
ii pure-ftpd-mysql 1.0.19-4 Pure-FTPd FTP server with MySQL user authenticat

Thank you for any hints!
Christoph
Re: Pureftpd and Linux capabilties [message #4205 is a reply to message #4203] Sun, 02 July 2006 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dev is currently offline  dev

1. you can strace pureftpd to check what capabilities it tries to set and fails.
See http://wiki.openvz.org/Stracing_a_program for information on how to strace an application.

2. after you found what's wrong with capabilities you can add missing capability to your VE with vzctl command. Check vzctl man on how to control VE capabilities (http://openvz.org/documentation/mans/vzctl.8):
#vzctl set <VEID> --capability capname:on|off

Note: changing capabilities requires VE restart.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Pureftpd and Linux capabilties [message #4209 is a reply to message #4203] Sun, 02 July 2006 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi!

Thanks for the fast (especially on Sunday Wink) and competent answer.

I found out with strace that pureftpd likes to set the following capabilities:

CHOWN DAC_READ_SEARCH SETGID SETUID NET_BIND_SERVICE NET_ADMIN SYS_CHROOT SYS_NICE CHOWN DAC_READ_SEARCH SETGID SETUID NET_BIND_SERVICE NET_ADMIN SYS_CHROOT SYS_NICE

I activated those via vzctl and it works perfectly now!

One thing I was thinking about. What about security when all those capabilities are set?

Christoph
Re: Pureftpd and Linux capabilties [message #4210 is a reply to message #4203] Mon, 03 July 2006 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luismi is currently offline  luismi
Hi there,

Yes, I have the sane problem here.
You need to recompile the pure-ftpd package using the next option:

--without-capabilities: if the capabilities library (libcap) is found,
Pure-FTPd will try to use it in order to enhance security. This option
overrides the test to ignore the library. Try this if capabilities don't
work properly on your system. libcap can be downloaded from
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/security/linux-privs/ .

From: http://download.pureftpd.org/pub/pure-ftpd/doc/README

I can send you my packages if you want, I use puredb since I have few accounts but I also created the mysql and ldap packages, for the future Grin

I am not using the latest version 1.0.22 since I use the version from a debian stable mirror, that is, 1.0.19.

Also if you need some help recompiling pure-ftpd under debian, let me know, I will try to help you Grin

Regards.

Re: Pureftpd and Linux capabilties [message #4211 is a reply to message #4209] Mon, 03 July 2006 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luismi is currently offline  luismi
Cristoph,

How do you activate those capabilities using vzctl?

I am very insterested on that.
Re: Pureftpd and Linux capabilties [message #4214 is a reply to message #4211] Mon, 03 July 2006 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi!

Thanks for your package offering. I think I'll stick with the Debian version since it is working now after having set the capabilities.

Here is how I set the capabilities for the VPS via bash:
VPSID=123
for CAP in CHOWN DAC_READ_SEARCH SETGID SETUID NET_BIND_SERVICE NET_ADMIN SYS_CHROOT SYS_NICE CHOWN DAC_READ_SEARCH SETGID SETUID NET_BIND_SERVICE NET_ADMIN SYS_CHROOT SYS_NICE
do
  vzctl set $VPSID --capability ${CAP}:on --save
done

Regards
Christoph
Re: Pureftpd and Linux capabilties [message #4216 is a reply to message #4209] Mon, 03 July 2006 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

can you confirm please that CAP_NET_ADMIN is the one to blame? i.e. remove it and recheck Smile

if it is CAP_NET_ADMIN then it is really buggy software :/
This capability is too powerfull to give it as is. So from security point of view, sure it is not good.

Re: Pureftpd and Linux capabilties [message #4244 is a reply to message #4216] Mon, 03 July 2006 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi!

I removed CAP_NET_ADMIN and it doesn't work then.

Here is a part of the strace with CAP_NET_ADMIN disabled.
# strace /usr/sbin/pure-ftpd-mysql:
capset(0x19980330, 0, {CAP_CHOWN|CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH|CAP_SETGID|CAP_SETUID|CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE|CAP_NET_ADMIN|CAP_SYS_CHROOT|CAP_SYS_NICE, CAP_CHOWN|CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH|CAP_SETGID|CAP_SETUID|CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE|CAP_NET_ADMIN|CAP_SYS_CHROOT|CAP_SYS_NICE, }) = -1 EPERM (Operation not permitted)
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, ~[RTMIN], [], 8) = 0
fstat64(1, {st_mode=S_IFCHR|0600, st_rdev=makedev(136, 0), ...}) = 0
mmap2(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x40018000
write(1, "421 Unable to switch capabilitie"..., 61421 Unable to switch capabilities : Operation not permitted
) = 61

Christoph
Re: Pureftpd and Linux capabilties [message #4266 is a reply to message #4216] Tue, 04 July 2006 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi!

I now checked the source code of pureftpd.
It seems that it always keeps CAP_NET_ADMIN.

What should one think about that?

Christoph

caps.c:
http://pureftpd.cvs.sourceforge.net/pureftpd/pureftpd/src/ca ps.c?view=markup
void set_initial_caps(void)
{
    apply_caps(cap_keep_startup,
               sizeof(cap_keep_startup) / sizeof(cap_value_t));
}

caps_p.h:
http://pureftpd.cvs.sourceforge.net/pureftpd/pureftpd/src/ca ps_p.h?view=markup
cap_value_t cap_keep_startup[] = {
    CAP_SETGID,
    CAP_SETUID,
    CAP_CHOWN,
    CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE,
    CAP_SYS_CHROOT,
    CAP_SYS_NICE,
    CAP_NET_ADMIN,
    CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH
};

cap_value_t cap_keep_login[] = {
# ifndef WITH_PRIVSEP
#  ifndef HAVE_SYS_FSUID_H
    CAP_SETUID,
#  endif
    CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE,
# endif
    CAP_NET_ADMIN
};
Re: Pureftpd and Linux capabilties [message #4268 is a reply to message #4266] Tue, 04 July 2006 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

You can try to contact pureftpd authors.
First, I can't imagine why CAP_NET_ADMIN can be required for FTP daemon Smile

Next, it looks wrong to fail if this capability is not currently available. why it doesn't try to apply AND mask on current capabilities available via capget()?

Re: Pureftpd and Linux capabilties [message #11162 is a reply to message #4210] Wed, 14 March 2007 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rema is currently offline  rema
luismi wrote on Sun, 02 July 2006 20:18

Hi there,
Also if you need some help recompiling pure-ftpd under debian, let me know, I will try to help you Grin

Regards.

could you give some hints here how this could be done using sarge?

best rema
Re: Pureftpd and Linux capabilties [message #11190 is a reply to message #11162] Thu, 15 March 2007 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Valmont is currently offline  Valmont
//some offtop

The best way - is to use vsftpd. It is fast,secure and doesn't need these caps.

Re: Pureftpd and Linux capabilties [message #11210 is a reply to message #11190] Thu, 15 March 2007 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rema is currently offline  rema
hmm, but i need an mysql backend ....
Re: Pureftpd and Linux capabilties [message #11211 is a reply to message #11210] Thu, 15 March 2007 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Valmont is currently offline  Valmont
At least now - only with pam_mysql.
Re: Pureftpd and Linux capabilties [message #44205 is a reply to message #4268] Fri, 25 November 2011 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xdanx is currently offline  xdanx
So.. is it a major security risk if I can't recompile pureftp-d and I'm forced to use those capabilities ?

Would those capabilities turned on for the container help affect in any way the node, in case the container gets rooted ? In other words, can those extra added capabilities for the container represent a security hole ( for the container and/or node )?

I'm thinking that even without running OpenVZ, on a normal [ for example ] Ubuntu installation those capabilities are required by the ftp server and people don't panic that much about it.

Thanks,
Dan
Re: Pureftpd and Linux capabilties [message #44214 is a reply to message #44205] Fri, 25 November 2011 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Quote:
Would those capabilities turned on for the container help affect in any way the node, in case the container gets rooted ? In other words, can those extra added capabilities for the container represent a security hole ( for the container and/or node )?

These capabilities represent a security hole for a container, not for the whole node.

Quote:

I'm thinking that even without running OpenVZ, on a normal [ for example ] Ubuntu installation those capabilities are required by the ftp server and people don't panic that much about it.

Well, people typically never panic when they do not know much about it Laughing

I will ask kir@, maybe he will contact pureftpd and get it fixed.

Re: Pureftpd and Linux capabilties [message #44224 is a reply to message #44214] Fri, 25 November 2011 15:39 Go to previous message
xdanx is currently offline  xdanx
I see. Thanks for the info.
And I agree with you: it is a bit strange for pure-ftpd to ask for that many capabilities ( including NET_ADMIN )

For anyone who wants to know what they do exactly, go to http : //linux.die.net/man/7/capabilities

OR in linux

man capabilities

Cheers,
Dan
Previous Topic: OpenVZ and Fedora 16
Next Topic: passwd for ssh (OpenVZ)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:35:08 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01724 seconds