OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Asterisk Meetme and Dahdi (Zaptel) issue on 64bit HN
Asterisk Meetme and Dahdi (Zaptel) issue on 64bit HN [message #35554] Fri, 03 April 2009 14:45 Go to next message
sammy08 is currently offline  sammy08
Can you tell if there are any know issues running OpenVZ on a 64bit system?

I have OpenVZ installed on two different HN, one is running CentOS 32bit and the other CentOS 64bit. On the HN running the 32bit OS the meetme works fine following the procedure described below but not on the HN running the 64bit OS.

Let me explain what's happening:

I created an elastix template on the 32bit machine and have loaded the Dahdi (Zaptel) modules by adapting the information provided at http://wiki.openvz.org/Asterisk_from_source as follows:

Start the Service on the HN
service dahdi start

Load the Dahdi Modules on the HN
modprobe dahdi
modprobe dahdi_dummy

Grant the VE Access to the Devices
vzctl set 120 --devnodes dahdi/pseudo:rw --save
vzctl set 120 --devnodes dahdi/channel:rw --save
vzctl set 120 --devnodes dahdi/timer:rw --save
vzctl set 120 --devnodes dahdi/ctl:rw --save

Set the owner and group to be asterisk
vzctl exec 120 chown -R asterisk:asterisk /dev/dahdi /lib/udev/devices/dahdi

Now on 32bit machine the conferencing working it works fine at least until the VPS is rebooted!

However, when I transfer a copy of the same template over to the 64bit machine and try the same identical procedure followed to get the conferencing working the call connects but there is no audio for the meetme or audio for any IVR or anything else.

Only when I delete the /dev/dahdi/timer and /lib/udev/devices/dahdi/timer the audio works again. However, I get the message that the conference PIN is not valid when I try to connect to a conference.

Any ideas?

regards,

Sammy08

[Updated on: Fri, 03 April 2009 15:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Asterisk Meetme and Dahdi (Zaptel) issue on 64bit HN [message #35574 is a reply to message #35554] Mon, 06 April 2009 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is the message from the asterisk log file pertaining to the issue:

[Apr 5 16:56:42] WARNING[16155] app_meetme.c: Unable to open pseudo device
[Apr 5 16:57:25] ERROR[16360] asterisk.c: You have DAHDI built and drivers loaded, but the DAHDI timer test failed to set DAHDI_TIMERCONFIG to 160.

Re: Asterisk Meetme and Dahdi (Zaptel) issue on 64bit HN [message #35576 is a reply to message #35554] Mon, 06 April 2009 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hi Errol,

do you use the same template on the 64-bit HN as you use on the 32-bit HN? (i.e. 32-bit template on the 64-bit HN)

Make sure that all devices inside /dev/dahdi directory have been created with appropriate major and minor numbers.

Does the message
Quote:

appears during dahdi service starting?
If yes, please use strace program to get more information about current situation.
http://wiki.openvz.org/Stracing_a_program
Re: Asterisk Meetme and Dahdi (Zaptel) issue on 64bit HN [message #35577 is a reply to message #35576] Mon, 06 April 2009 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus wrote

Hi Errol,

do you use the same template on the 64-bit HN as you use on the 32-bit HN? (i.e. 32-bit template on the 64-bit HN)

The template was a 32bit template built on a 32bit machine and copied over to the 64bit machine.

maratrus wrote

Make sure that all devices inside /dev/dahdi directory have been created with appropriate major and minor numbers.

I am not sure what you mean by "appropriate major and minor numbers" but the devices [pseudo, channel, ctl, timer] have been created on the VE.

maratrus wrote

Does the message

appears during dahdi service starting?

Dahdi starts fine. That message appears when trying to start Asterisk.

I applied the patch as per advice here on the HN: http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=13930&nbn=20

I tried to applied to the VE, am I meant to recompile Asterisk after?

[Updated on: Mon, 06 April 2009 10:35]

Re: Asterisk Meetme and Dahdi (Zaptel) issue on 64bit HN [message #35578 is a reply to message #35577] Mon, 06 April 2009 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Quote:

I am not sure what you mean by "appropriate major and minor numbers" but the devices [pseudo, channel, ctl, timer] have been created on the VE.

At least compare those numbers with that on a workable system.

Quote:

Dahdi starts fine. That message appears when trying to start Asterisk.

You should find out what process complains about pseudo device and "strace" that process.

Re: Asterisk Meetme and Dahdi (Zaptel) issue on 64bit HN [message #35579 is a reply to message #35578] Mon, 06 April 2009 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is what I have done so far.

I copied the patched dahdi_dummy files over to the VE, then downloaded and compiled Asterisk. After I tried to start dahdi I got the errors below.

[root@testpbx dahdi]# service dahdi start
Loading DAHDI hardware modules:
WARNING: Error inserting crc_ccitt (/lib/modules/2.6.18-92.1.18.el5.028stab060.8/kernel/lib/crc-ccitt.ko): Operation not permitted
FATAL: Error inserting dahdi (/lib/modules/2.6.18-92.1.18.el5.028stab060.8/dahdi/dahdi.ko): Operation not permitted

No hardware timing source found in /proc/dahdi, loading dahdi_dummy
Running dahdi_cfg:  Notice: Configuration file is /etc/dahdi/system.conf
line 0: Unable to open master device '/dev/dahdi/ctl'

1 error(s) detected

Afterwards I once again copied the devices back over to the VE as follows:

On the HN
[root@myserver dahdi]# for x in `ls /dev/dahdi`; do /usr/sbin/vzctl set 130 --devnodes dahdi/${x}:rw --save; done
Setting devices
Saved parameters for CT 130
Setting devices
Setting devices
Setting devices
[root@myserver dahdi]#

[root@myserver dahdi]# vzctl exec 130 chown -R asterisk /dev/dahdi /lib/udev/devices/dahdi
[root@myserver dahdi]# vzctl exec 130 chgrp -R asterisk /dev/dahdi /lib/udev/devices/dahdi
[root@myserver dahdi]#

On the VE
[root@testpbx dahdi]# service dahdi start
Loading DAHDI hardware modules:
WARNING: Error inserting crc_ccitt (/lib/modules/2.6.18-92.1.18.el5.028stab060.8/kernel/lib/crc-ccitt.ko): Operation not permitted
FATAL: Error inserting dahdi (/lib/modules/2.6.18-92.1.18.el5.028stab060.8/dahdi/dahdi.ko): Operation not permitted

No hardware timing source found in /proc/dahdi, loading dahdi_dummy
Running dahdi_cfg:                                         [  OK ]
[root@testpbx dahdi]#

Then I try to start Asterisk on the VE

[root@testpbx dahdi]# service asterisk restart
Shutting down asterisk:                                    [FAILED]
Starting asterisk:                                         [  OK  ]
[root@testpbx dahdi]# Asterisk ended with exit status 1
Asterisk died with code 1.
Automatically restarting Asterisk.
mpg123: no process killed
Asterisk ended with exit status 1
Asterisk died with code 1.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 April 2009 11:35]

Re: Asterisk Meetme and Dahdi (Zaptel) issue on 64bit HN [message #36601 is a reply to message #35579] Sat, 04 July 2009 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Antarion is currently offline  Antarion
Hey,

i am running into exactly the same problem. Actually, the problem seems to be that there's no /proc/dahdi/* within the container. Asterisk tries to access /proc/dahdi/1 to set/retrieve DAHDI timing.

I've not idea how to avoid this, anyone else maybe?

KR,
Torsten

[Updated on: Sat, 04 July 2009 08:12]

Re: Asterisk Meetme and Dahdi (Zaptel) issue on 64bit HN [message #37706 is a reply to message #35554] Tue, 13 October 2009 08:55 Go to previous message
mustardman is currently offline  mustardman
The problem is that you cannot run Dahdi(zaptel) in a 32bit VM on 64bit OpenVZ HN. Both have to be 32 bit or 64bit which makes sense considering Dahdi (zaptel) has to be installed on the HN.

The guys as Pbx-in-a-flash have all come to this conclusion. There is a long thread about it over there.
Previous Topic: How to set mtu in a container
Next Topic: secure.2, secure.3 are empty
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:27:30 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02213 seconds